Running Light Issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Running Light Issue

I started to flip through the electrical section but I kept getting sidetracked so I figured it best just to make a new post.

A buddy of mine was running behind me on the way to work this last week and noticed that my right side running light wasn't lit. I hadn't noticed it before but I had checked to make sure my blinkers worked before I even bought the bike. So I just assumed I blew a bulb, but when I went out after work I checked it and the weird thing was the light was out but the blinker on that side still worked. I assumed maybe it had a double bulb back there or something. Anyways I went out today to check the bulb and wouldn't you know it there is only one bulb. I pulled the one off the side that was working and switched them to see if maybe something was wrong with the bulb itself but the bulb from the working side wouldn't even light up, and the bulb I pulled from the side that wasn't working lit up just fine in the left side.

I was wondering if anyone has run into this and could point me in the right direction as to how to solve it. I flipped through my Clymers but it wasn't much help and you guys are usually better at spelling things out for me. Anyways thanks to anyone that can help.

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <To Be Named Later>
Purchased Used on 05/09/2009
11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
New Shinko 230 Tour Masters
110/90/19 Front 150/90/15 Back
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
1992 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <Parts Bike>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
The rear amber blinkers do not function as running lights, only blinkers. They use a single filament 1156 bulb that is only on (blinking) when the turn signal is activated. However, the front amber blinkers do act as both a running light and turn signal and use a dual filament 1157 bulb (same as the brake/running light bulb).

So, it sounds like you have a short somewhere in the rear blinker.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

After I read what you wrote I went and pulled the seat and followed the wires from the left blinker (the one that is working like a running light) and all of the connections/wiring are solid no splits or battery acid on them up til it leads to the larger group of wires by the battery. Its weird that the bulb lights up just like the fronts as far as with the blinker off only the tip lights and when you turn on the blinker it lights the whole bulb. Maybe I can get away with getting the proper single filament bulb that you mentioned and see if it doesn't just quit lighting. Knowing my luck though the whole bulb will just light up and you wont be able to tell when I have my turn signal on. Either way I will give that a shot tomorrow. Thank you sir for the help.

11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Love My Baby

You swapped bulbs and the right one worked properly (I think) when placed in the left side, so it's not that bulb. It's possible you have two different types of bulbs in the rear turns. The bulb that only blinks when the turns are on is the correct bulb. Make sure both are the same and if not, buy another one just like the one that works properly.

However, for the bulb that only blinks when the turns are on (the one originally on the right side), if that bulb lights up as a running light when placed on the left side, you have a wiring problem somewhere.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authority84 View Post
After I read what you wrote I went and pulled the seat and followed the wires from the left blinker (the one that is working like a running light) and all of the connections/wiring are solid no splits or battery acid on them up til it leads to the larger group of wires by the battery. Its weird that the bulb lights up just like the fronts as far as with the blinker off only the tip lights and when you turn on the blinker it lights the whole bulb. Maybe I can get away with getting the proper single filament bulb that you mentioned and see if it doesn't just quit lighting. Knowing my luck though the whole bulb will just light up and you wont be able to tell when I have my turn signal on. Either way I will give that a shot tomorrow. Thank you sir for the help.
Yes, if you have an 1157 bulb in the left side that is lighting up as a running light, and working as a turn signal too, replacing it with the proper #1156 bulb should solve the problem.

However it still leaves me confused as to why a single contact socket will make an electrical connection with even one, never mind both contacts, on a dual contact bulb base.

Let us know if both sides only light up to blink when the new bulb is installed.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

A buddy of mine fixed this for me today. Come to find out someone must have rewired the lights at some point. They had the front turn signal/running light wired in backwards so it was keeping the light on in the back. All he did was switch the wire going to the turn signal with the one going to the running light in the front and the back light was fixed in the process. So i guess if you ever wanted running lights in the back all you would have to do is wire the front lights up so the running lights are tied into the blinker and vice versa. Always good to know someone that knows more than you about bikes I Guess lol.

11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement