!!HELP!! Trouble with my Bike - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy !!HELP!! Trouble with my Bike

Hi everybody, im new in this Forum and more new in bykes,
i got my first one just one week ago, i used it every day in this week(sort rides of course) but today i tryed to start my bike, and oh surprise, i couldnt do it. i checked the fuel, the batery and some noice came beside the batery and i found this:

this thing make a noise like a airtool, you know?. My bike doesnt star and this thing only make a noise and the engine doesnt move only the noise...that f*** noise.

Please help this newone, cause i dont have any mechanic near in my area.

Bike Specs:
VN 750 '92

PS. i attach a pic for this device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1894  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome Mad Fighter, sorry about your bike. what year is it?

Sounds like either a loose wire in the starting system or a bad solenoid. You can try taking a heavy duty screw driver and putting it across the terminals on the solenoid to see if that runs the starter. Actually before you do that, make sure your battery is putting out enough juice to start the bike. Maybe you can jump it first and if that doesn't work, then cross the solenoid. Good luck.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389

Last edited by Gemguy; 06-13-2009 at 12:20 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the forum MFP. The picture you show is of the starter relay or solinoid. If your battery voltage is a bit low, the relay will click, but there is not enough voltage to run the starter.
If you have a multimeter, check the voltage with the key and engine off. If you don`t have at least 12.5 volts the ignition probably won`t have enough power to fire the plugs, even if the starter operates.
You may want to boost the battery with your auto. It won`t damage anything, as long as you hook up positive to positve, and neg to neg.
You may want to put the bike on a battery tender to keep it charged up when parked. The charging system is marginal at best, especialy if you are doing a lot of slow speed or stop and go riding.
See the TEN THINGS link below, especially regarding MF-AGM batteries and NGK Iridium spark plugs.

You could also try a push start with the bike in second or third gear.

Good luck.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much and OlHossCanada for you advices,
here is the thing:

I put away my Batery and put it in a Batery's Charger for two and half hours, then a put in again on my bike, and surprise, start at the very first time, i dont know if my battery is damaged, but i tryed to buy a new one, My battery is 12 Voltts, when i bougth this bike the ex-owner told me that the battery was new, some people told me that maybe the baterry doesnt retain charge, but i dont know, others told me when the bike is off disconect the battery and try to see day by day if loss charge but i dont know either
i hope with this little more information you could help me more.

My bike is 1992 green and gray.

Thank you so much for your help, i would be lost if you werent around.
Sincery thanks.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Gemguy i tried this and doesnt happend anything, my bike is 1992 gray and green and i Loved. I feel free ridding my bike. Thank you for your advice and y post more information of my problem, i thanks in advance for your comments.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Old Truck Junkie

check your charging system. If you are not getting 13+ volts at 3,000 rpm you have a problem. Maybe the r/r or worse the stator.
Go to the vulcan verses for help.
Welcome to the group.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Where do you live MFP? If you fill out your profile, your location will show up on every post you make, up in the right hand corner.

The first things to do is check to cheap easy stuff. Check that all your electrical connections, and ground connections, are clean from dirt and corrosion, and tight. Pack them with dielectric grease when you reassemble them.

Is your battery a wet cell type, where you have to check the water level and pull out 6 little plugs to add distilled water? If it is this type you have, it may only last 1 year according to many members here.

To check it , make sure every cell is filled to the full line, and put it on a slow charge of 1.4 amps overnight. Our batteries are rated at 14 amps, and the maximum ideal charge rate is one tenth (1/10) of the battery capacity. A motorcycle specific "battery tender" is the best way to keep your battery topped up without overcharging it. Be careful if you use a charger designed for automobiles, as a higher charge rate can overheat the battery plates, and warp them, causing an internal electrical short.

If you have a multi meter, check the voltage of the battery after taking it off the charger, or tender. It should be 12.5 volts or more. You can also take it to a battery shop and have them perform a "load test" on it. They can tell you if your battery is damaged or weak.

When you replace your battery get a Maintenance Free-Absorbed Glass Mat (MF-AGM) type. It is sealed and you do not have to add water to it. It also seems to start the engine more reliably. And again I note that NGK Iridium Plugs make a big difference in the starting and running of this model of bike.

You also need to do as niterider suggested above, and check the voltage of your battery charging system as you speed the engine revolutions up. If the voltage does not rise as the engine speeds up, then you have a problem with either the regulator/rectifier, or the stator (alternator) which makes the electrical power. The r/r is not too expensive or difficult to replace. The stator and seals needed to replace it cost a bit more. The engine needs to be tilted in the frame, or preferably removed from the frame, in order to replace the stator.

Please answer these questions as well as you are able, and we will be better able to help you. Good luck. OlHoss

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-14-2009 at 07:53 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Hi OlHossCanada, i'm so sorry for my bad bad english, i live in mexico, very near to Mexico City, i'm 34 years old, and i bought my bike around four weeks ago, Mi bike is 1992 model, green and grey, pettry much the same from the factory, i would try to write about my problem as good as i can.

My battery is a 12 Volts 7 Ah. I thinks maybe here is the problem.

*When i took the battery for charge, it was 12.1 volts,
*When i put it in my bike Again, it was 13.5 Volts 2.5 hours after,
*With 13.5 Volts my bike started it instantaneous, then i went for a little ride(about 30 minuts) and whe i turned off my bike, my batery died again.

Another fact, the device for charge my battery it is an Automovil Charger.

I Uploaded an Image of the Battery.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00664.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1911  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

With the battery charged up, put it back on the bike and hook it up. With your key off, test your battery voltage. Should be 12.5 volts or better. Start up the bike and let it warm up a few minutes. Then test your voltage on the battery with the engine running. Again, should be 12.5 volts or better. Rev the engine up to over 3000 rpms. You should see the voltage jump to over 13 volts or higher. If revving the engine doesn't jump your voltage then there is a problem with the charging system. Try this and check back with us!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Love My Baby

You have the wrong battery for your bike. Our battery should be 14 AH, not 7, and so yours will not last long no matter what. Ditto to everything that OlHossCanada has told you. He is quite wise in these matters and his advice is worthy of following.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of biking! The folks here will help you every time.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack