stator replacement walkthrough - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Concert connoisseur

Garage
stator replacement walkthrough

here is about everything I used to replace my stator and parts needed. and please feel free to add any tips or tricks you might have found for our members who might have to go through this in the future. you will see me adding to this a little at a time in case my computer acs up I wont have to type it all over.

for those that think this is an overwhelming job, its not near as bad as it looks. I too though oh my god but had it done in about 16 hours total working in an 8 x 10 metal shed.

parts from cheapcycleparts
bevel gear case gasket x 1 - 11009-1510
gasket generator cover x 1 - 11009-1474
o-ring outer dynamo cover bolts x 3 - 92055-109
o-ring outer cover x 1 - 92055-1319
exhaust crush gaskets x 2 - 11009-1476

parts from autozone and honda
permatex high tack gasket sealer, permatex blue thread lock, permatex red thread lock, small tube dielectric grease, moly 60 for the splines (available at honda dealer) stator (purchased mine @ ricks electromotorsports). 4 quarts oil, filter, gallon antifreeze (suitable for aluminum engines)
Total cost about $230.00

tools needed, metric set of wrenches and sockets, bottle jack (front of engine), scissor jack (rear of engine) or if you have a small floor jack it would probably work great but it has to fit under engine with room to lower it. razor blade or gasket remover. masking tape and sharpie for marking hoses connections and bolts for bevel gear and generator cover. And most important www.vn750.com for asking questions and anything you might come across.

the walkthrough with everything I removed to get it done, hopefully I remember everything but if I think of something I forgot I will edit and add it later.

preferably with a warm engine (not hot) drain the oil and antifreeze as if you were changing them, remove oil filter.
remove seat
remove battery and full charge it
remove ears
remove tank, 3 bolts and 3 fuel lines
coolant housing
coolant reservoir on right side of bike (just unbolt it and hang it out of the way on rear of bike)
radiator 4 bolts, a ground and the fan connection
exhaust both sides
shift lever
oil line tab on left side of generator cover I just bent at a 90 degree angle instead of removing it
carburetor boots, one on each carb, about 3 inch diameter
I think there is 2 or 3 radiator hoses on top of the engine you will need to unhook for the engine to drop
remove bevel gear, draw a diagram of the gear numbering every bolt clockwise. and number each as you remove. them with masking tape, be careful not to tip the gear upside down or the spring and the clutch gear will fall out. clean any gasket material stuck to it off.
both jacks you will want a piece of 1/4 -1/2 inch x 3 x 4 for the top of it between the motor, place bottle jack with board in the front behind the starter, scissor jack towards the rear of the motor
remove motor mounts (3 of them) and mark where each one goes
remove front crossbar bolts then remove the frame on the right side of bike and swing out of the way (no need to remove brake components) the front cross bar should drop right out of the way then. remember or take pics of the way your wires ran before doing this.
remove generator outer cover and then loosen generator cover bolts

now the fun begins, work the rear scissor jack up and down a little to break motor free. as you lower the engine be sure to keep a close eye on the shift shaft and make sure it doesn't hit the frame. as you are lowering turn your handlebars to the left and this should start the motor front swinging out of the bike in the front to the right side. you will need about 2 inches of clearance between the frame and the generator cover for the cover to slide off the shift shaft. if you raise the rear jack high till the bike starts to wobble on the centerstand a little this will let you pivot the whole bike counterclockwise a little and make it easier to get the clearance you need without prying on the engine as much. once you have enough clearance you are on the home stretch. remove the cover from shift shaft then
remove the stator from the cover again noting how the wires are ran.

now reverse the whole process

I used the gasket sealer all around and between the two rubber grommets on the stator wire and I think its the pickup coil wires to prevent leaking.
a couple tips though. before adding your gasket sealer and gasket to the generator cover, do a quick test run on exactly how you will put it back in, once you have enough clearance, add the gasket and sealer and put it back on.

installing bevel gear first use your moly 60 to lube it up real good. no need for gasket sealer here as there is nothing to leak, then install it but the spring will make it feel like it wont fit towards the front of it, in the owners manual there is a bolt tightening sequence, be sure to follow it and tighten bolts evenly and it should go on smoothly.

I owe a lot of credit to someone that did a write up on this as well as I followed a lot of his notes, I'll figure out who you are shortly and give you credit, between our write ups hopefully we can save some members a whole lot of guess work.

thanks, "JM1515" for your stator replacement notes.

hopefully this link works, its to a shoppingcart at cheap cycle parts with all the gaskets and orings needed.
http://www.onlinemicrofiche.com/chea...t/Viewcart.asp

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369

Last edited by wib714; 06-12-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: adding to thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

It sounds like a good write up wib, with a lot of helpful tips. Good work.

edit May 5, 2010.

Quote from wib714 above:

"installing bevel gear first use your moly 60 to lube it up real good. no need for gasket sealer here as there is nothing to leak, then install it but the spring will make it feel like it wont fit towards the front of it, in the owners manual there is a bolt tightening sequence, be sure to follow it and tighten bolts evenly and it should go on smoothly."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many of us do not have an owners manual, but the Clymer service manual shows a picture with 7 bolts holding the front bevel gear to the engine. They are to be tightened in a criss-cross pattern, similar to lug nuts on a wheel. Torque spec is only 8.5 ft-lbs, or 102 inch-pounds if you have a 1/4" drive torque wrench.

Common practice is to tighten in 2-3 steps, ie. finger tight , then tighten to spec in 1 or 2 steps in a criss-cross pattern.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 07-09-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: adding info for inexperienced owner-mechanics
Old 06-11-2009, 01:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to 85vulcan
can u give part numbers u used for cheapcycles? i tried lookin and i cant finad ANY gaskets for my bike on there and ill be doing this very soon

1985 Vulcan 700
Jardine pipes (i think? ha ha)
17.5x10x12" saddle bags
Dunlop D404s front n rear

many future "toy additions" to come

Old 06-11-2009, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Concert connoisseur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vulcan View Post
can u give part numbers u used for cheapcycles? i tried lookin and i cant finad ANY gaskets for my bike on there and ill be doing this very soon
I'll get all the part numbers when I get home tonight. just wished I had pics to include with the write up but was afraid I'd ruin my new camera!

42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Hid conversion
splines lubed
NGK Iridium spark plugs

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
Old 06-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Nice writeup. Thanks man.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Concert connoisseur

Garage
added a link at the bottom of my post that will take you to a shopping cart at cheapcycleparts.com with all the gaskets and orings needed to do the job already loaded in it, just complete the cart and fill out your address and shipping info!

42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Hid conversion
splines lubed
NGK Iridium spark plugs

Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 PM

that dont work...no parts in it, i dont have the cookies that are on UR computer haha (cookies not meant as a joke)

1985 Vulcan 700
17.5x10x12" saddle bags

Old 06-12-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Concert connoisseur

Garage
there in my post now.

42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Hid conversion
splines lubed
NGK Iridium spark plugs

Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 AM

Awesome!!! Thanks a ton wib!!!!

1985 Vulcan 700
17.5x10x12" saddle bags

Old 06-15-2009, 11:07 PM
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

Hey Wib - Know it's been a little bit since you replaced your stator. Any leaks? Any other ideas that come to mind to make the procedure less daunting? Thinking about doing mine myself now vice having a stealership do it. Have a week coming up that might have enough spare time in it to get this done. Thanks for your help so far!

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced