Trouble whit rear cilinder - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Trouble whit rear cilinder

Okay here we go....never tought dat I would need international help. Forgive me when I am writing poor englisch. I hope that what I am writing makes sense.

Yesterday I bought a VN 750 Vulcan. 21000 mile on the clock. Before I made a test ride the engine was cold en it started right away. I made a test drive and there was nothing suspicious, so I decided to buy the bike.

At my ride home (150 miles Amsterdam - Assen) I could feel the engine hesitate above 65 miles an hour. At first I thought that id had to do with the carbs....

After 100 miles the rear cilinder began to hesitate en backfired a few times and stoped. After tree minutes at the side of the road the engine started again. In the last 50 miles the same happend 3 more times. At home the battery was totaly empty (that isn't strange I think....I started a lot at the side of the road) so I charged it and this morning the engine started at the first start like there is nothing wrong.
The seller said I could be a defect spark plug, but the electrodes ar all nice and grey.....

Greetzzzz
Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonx View Post
Okay here we go....never tought dat I would need international help. Forgive me when I am writing poor englisch. I hope that what I am writing makes sense.

Yesterday I bought a VN 750 Vulcan. 21000 mile on the clock. Before I made a test ride the engine was cold en it started right away. I made a test drive and there was nothing suspicious, so I decided to buy the bike.

At my ride home (150 miles Amsterdam - Assen) I could feel the engine hesitate above 65 miles an hour. At first I thought that id had to do with the carbs....

After 100 miles the rear cilinder began to hesitate en backfired a few times and stoped. After tree minutes at the side of the road the engine started again. In the last 50 miles the same happend 3 more times. At home the battery was totaly empty (that isn't strange I think....I started a lot at the side of the road) so I charged it and this morning the engine started at the first start like there is nothing wrong.
The seller said I could be a defect spark plug, but the electrodes ar all nice and grey.....

Greetzzzz
Harry
I would check all battery connections ,and make sure your battery is good,and test the charging system out make sure every connection you can get to is clean and tight,simple stuff first

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Hey Danny,

Thnx.....I already orderd a new battery. The old one looked old. I hope I have the new one tomorrow. In the mean time I can check al the contacts.

to be continued ...............

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 AM

There are a few threads around here, somewhat recent threads by other folks who have dropped just one of the cylinders, and what they did and found to fix it. If you have some time, browse around.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Hey Doug,

Id did so, but it can have a whole lot of reasons. I have just bought a multi-meter (dont know the english word) to mesure voltage ohm etc etc. I just hope it isn't a major defect. I spendid some money to buy the machine, and I want to ride it, not repair it..

thnx for the help
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 AM

Well, sometimes you have to fix a few things then you get to just enjoy riding. But just keep talking and everyone here will gladly help you with the non-riding part! Hang in there and welcome to the group.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

It's evening now in the Netherlands, but the battery was loaded zo I placed it back. The bike woundn't start. So I checked the sparkplugs, and all the plugs gave a very poor spark. When I put the plugs back and I tried to start the bike, I touched the frame, with my fingers, and I felt on the rithim of the starting engine little pulses on my skin.

So I think power is leaking somewhere. It's to late now to look further.

Maybe some suggestions where to look????

to be continued......
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:17 PM

My uneducated opinion is that it points to frayed wiring somewhere, probably under your tank. I'd be checking the coil power wires to start with. I believe you are going to find this without too much effort, besides removing the tank. Good luck!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Hey Fergy,

I have done some research en I have spoken to the guy who owned the bike for 10 jears. Last year he cleaned the bike with a high pressure cleaner. After that he had a defect on his start-relais. Besides that he never had any trouble.
Tomorrow I am going to place new sparkplugs en search for the frayed wiring...

thnx
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

The mistery seems to be solved......just look at the picture.

A hole in the back of the cdi-unit seems to be the problem. Tommorow I am goiing to get a second hand one for about €35,--

Last edited by Vonx; 06-05-2009 at 05:09 AM. Reason: try to ad a foto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement