MF battery is waiting for me at the house! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

MF battery is waiting for me at the house!

Daggumit, these last couple of hours at work are going to drag.

I see via the tracking on their website, my new Big Crank MF sealed battery should be sitting on my front porch. Along with my Clymer's manual that was delivered today as well!

As soon as my SpeedBleeders get here that I ordered, I'm going to change out the brake fluid and then I'll fill up with my new McCuff gas funnel and be ready to get some mileage under my belt!

BTW, the wife is going to kill me when she sees the credit card statement from all these little things I've been buying for the bike!

If weather permits, I'm going to start riding her to work later on this week or at the beginning of next week.

2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 "Serenity"
Changed Oil/Filter and Coolant
Installed Big Crank ETX15L Battery w/charger hookups
Duct-taped retention safety for toolbox door
New OEM clutch lever replaced after first tipover
Plan on: changing brake fluid, coastering, lubing splines, relocating R/R, new saddlebags, highway pegs, windshield.
Scratch that...make that getting her ready for sale. Nope, scratch THAT! I'm keeping her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Tell us how the McCuff works out. I have been wondering about those.

Sold 750 (9-09)
Bought '07 900 Classic "LT" (6-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
Adjusted Mix Screws (4-09)
Drilled Baffles 8 holes (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Metzelers ME880 170/80 in back 100/90 in front (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Kuri Longhorn pegs (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Highway bar/ engine guard(FS)
Some saddlebags no idea which ones
Facebook group Vulcan 750 Riders (Invite Only Group)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
Tell us how the McCuff works out. I have been wondering about those.
Certainly. I've heard alot of good things about it and figuring that I'm your prime example of a newb, the last thing I want is to spill gas all over the place when I go to fill her up for the first time. I should be a good test for it since I have no good or bad habits with the pumping routine.

Plan on: changing brake fluid, coastering, lubing splines, relocating R/R, new saddlebags, highway pegs, windshield.
Scratch that...make that getting her ready for sale. Nope, scratch THAT! I'm keeping her!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04newbie View Post
Daggumit, these last couple of hours at work are going to drag.

I see via the tracking on their website, my new Big Crank MF sealed battery should be sitting on my front porch. Along with my Clymer's manual that was delivered today as well!

As soon as my SpeedBleeders get here that I ordered, I'm going to change out the brake fluid and then I'll fill up with my new McCuff gas funnel and be ready to get some mileage under my belt!

BTW, the wife is going to kill me when she sees the credit card statement from all these little things I've been buying for the bike!

If weather permits, I'm going to start riding her to work later on this week or at the beginning of next week.
Cool! I got my Deka MF battery today and put it in. The little things add up that's for sure.

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04newbie View Post

as for the wife....just tell her it will be no problem paying the credit card with all the $ you are saving on gas by riding the bike!

also, (if no one here has told you before) this being your first bike, take it slow and easy! these bikes are fast! they have a lot of tork! IMHO they're NOT beginner bikes! so just take it slow and easy on the throttle and keep your hand on the clutch all the of time and you will do just fine.

anyways, weclome to the madness.
ride safe,
ruger.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Ruger, I'll be taking it very slow (how slow you ask? I've had the bike for over two weeks and it hasn't been out of the garage yet since I've brought her home). Now that the fluids are changed (minus the brakes-those will get done with the SpeedBleeder arrival), I'm ready to take it around our street and up to a close by church parking lot to get some practice in. Find out where the friction zone is, swerving, manuvering, sudden stops. All the stuff I learned in the MSF course.

BTW, the Big Crank worked as anticipated. After install, she started right up (well, on the second push of the start button, because Mr. Newbie here forgot to put the choke on a cold engine). I didn't have any problems with the wet battery, but I wanted to start with a MF battery to eliminate any potential problems down the road.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra...L-Battery.html

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Question What is a good starter bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
this being your first bike, take it slow and easy! these bikes are fast! they have a lot of tork! IMHO they're NOT beginner bikes!
Both of my sons (age 23 and 20) have talked about getting a motorcycle. Two different body builds, two different personalities, but both a little over 6' tall. Neither has riding experience, though both are athletic/coordinated. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EZC

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRector View Post
Both of my sons (age 23 and 20) have talked about getting a motorcycle. Two different body builds, two different personalities, but both a little over 6' tall. Neither has riding experience, though both are athletic/coordinated. Does anyone have any suggestions?
The only advice I can offer is get them to a MSF training course before anything else! I went from never even being on a bike, to after the two day session, feeling pretty confident that I can handle one. Just have to take it slow and easy.

And I'm not sure if our 750 is a good beginner bike (probably not, but that's an opinion-it's my beginner bike), but I felt that I would need something around this size eventually and I can go just as slow on a 750 as I can on a 125 or 250.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:44 PM

Something in the 250 class would, IMHO, be a good size for a beginner. Not sure what would offer your sons a comfortable fit though. In the small cruisers, forward controls might be required, and those can pose problems for beginners. I would suggest they go to various dealers and sit on what they have. There was a site posted here a few days ago where the guy recommended various type bikes for beginners. Think the Suzuki SV650 (NOT the SV650S) style was the style bike he recommended for beginners. Had one been available for what I could afford, would have had one of those for my second bike.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement