Garmin Nuvi Mount and wiring - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Garmin Nuvi Mount and wiring

I finnaly finished mounting my Garmin Nuvi I got last summer. I had been running the cord over the tank down to my side panel where I had a cig adapter.

I mounted the unit to the handle bar mount using a plastic soap box from a local camping supply store for about $2. The box is almost the perfect siz for the GPS. Cut the box in half and added some velcro to the inside to hold the GPS in and used two large ty-wraps and some double stick foam tape to hold it to the bar mount. Cut an access slot in the box for the power cord.

Mounted the power cord to the top of the battery and used the battery clamp to ty-wrap the cigarette adapter on. I snaked the cord up under the tank and wrapped it with that plastic spiral wire wrap, so it doesn't chaf. The cig adapter I got a the autoparts store for $5 or $6. It was one of those splitters that you plug into the car dash and you get two cig plugs. Just cut the cord and spliced in the wiring. One under the seat and the other near the side panel so I can plug my cell phone charger in.

Since the accessory leads are hot all the time I mounted a switch up inside the toolbox so I can shut off the GPS supply when I'm not using it. I also covered the switch with electrical tape to keep out any water that might drip in from between the seat and the tool box.

Next step is to replace the soap box, looks ok with the GPS in, but a little ratty when it's out. I'm also going to add a little visor to shade the GPS a bit better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nuvi-MNT.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nuvi-Battery.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nuvi-Switch.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nuvi-Box.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1756  

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 04:28 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Go look at Ram mount they make mounts just for Garmins
I have one on my Nomad.
http://www.ram-mount.com/ramgps.htm

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Good job on all that GD, including that on/off switch out back. Nice work throughout IMO.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
Go look at Ram mount they make mounts just for Garmins
I have one on my Nomad.
http://www.ram-mount.com/ramgps.htm
Just got the new Ram Mount in today.

Pics are attached.

I also got a new power cord to replace the cigarette adapter under the seat that can be hard wired to the battery. That way I can keep the OEM cord in the truck. The new cord doesn't have a fuse so I'll be adding an in-line before I install it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram-Mnt-1.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	2015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram-Mnt-2.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	2016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram-Mnt-3.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	2017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram-Mnt-4.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	2018  

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
Good job on all that GD, including that on/off switch out back. Nice work throughout IMO.
Thanks Doug.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 PM

veryyy naaaceeee! I LIiike

PEACE!!!

2005 Vulcan 750
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone got an idea for a dust/water cap for the USB cable that powers a GPS? Since the cable is hard wired, I'd like some sort of cap to keep water out of the connector if the bike is out in the rain.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Not sure why you just didn't wire the unit up using the accessory leads in the headlight shell, as these are already fused. Doen't the unit have an on/off switch?

As for the cable , not sure what part needs the waterproofing, so a photo would help here.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Not sure why you just didn't wire the unit up using the accessory leads in the headlight shell, as these are already fused. Doen't the unit have an on/off switch?

As for the cable , not sure what part needs the waterproofing, so a photo would help here.
KM
The accesory lead has a 10AMP fuse the Nuvi I have had an inline 1 AMP fuse. The unit does have an on off but I wanted to be able to kill power to the GPS when I was not using it or whan the GPS was off the bike

If you look at the pics above in the post that I installed the RAM mount the first pic shows the GPS power cord that is 'dangling' when the GPS is not in the mount. I'd like to keep the connector of the cord dry.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDouglas View Post
The accesory lead has a 10AMP fuse the Nuvi I have had an inline 1 AMP fuse. The unit does have an on off but I wanted to be able to kill power to the GPS when I was not using it or whan the GPS was off the bike

If you look at the pics above in the post that I installed the RAM mount the first pic shows the GPS power cord that is 'dangling' when the GPS is not in the mount. I'd like to keep the connector of the cord dry.

Gotcha, it's just I find it handy to be able to use the GPS when the bike is off. and when the unit is out of the cradle you are not using any power so it really shouldn't hurt to keep it wired. (and you could if needed switch the 10a fuse for a 1a one)

As for the cable , I would find a small plastic bottle (like those 35mm film containers) and feed the cable end through a hole in the cap. Silicone around the hole to seal it and then find a spot that the cable will reach to strap the container to the bike. (Make sure that the cable end fits into the bottle and you can snap the cap shut.)

So when you need to use the cable, you just lift the whole cap off the container and plug it in. When done , feed the end into the container and snap the cap shut. Should be fairly water tight and you can even put one of those little silica bags in the container to keep it dry inside.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement