To Start up or not to Start up... that is her question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

To Start up or not to Start up... that is her question

First....I want to say thanks to all the good advice I have learned here. Hopefully, I can get my Vulcan up and running with everyone's help.

So, I purchased a used 1997 Vulcan 750 this winter as a starter bike for my partner. She is actually joining Dykes on Bikes here and we both are excited about the Vulcan. (I'm a Harley Gal and love the pick up of the 750) I took her out for her first training ride in a parking lot and after a good hour or so of riding, she took a break to rest. When she went to start the bike, the bike would turn over but not start. I would keep trying and then would come a backfire followed by a dead battery. I would get the bike started by popping the clutch and immediately ride it home for her.

I charged up the battery and a week later I pulled the Vulcan out to do another training for her. The bike started right up and she practiced for 2 hours before the bike wouldn't start again. The exact same thing happened, the bike would turn over but not start, then backfired, then the battery would die and then no turning over of the starter. Again, we popped the clutch and got the bike home.

This week I spent lots of time reading this site and tried some of the following:

1) Used Volt Meters to check the battery while the bike was on. The bike appeared to be around 12/13 volts at regular idle.
2) Reved engine while volt meter was on the battery and the volt meter did go up to what looked like 15 volts. It was hard to hold the connecters on the battery and rev the engine while looking at the volt meter. Regardless, the meter went up with the rev of the engine.
3) I took the wet cell battery out and took it to the parts place to test. I was guessing the battery could be it but it tested ok and I didn't need to replace it. So, the battery checked out.
4) I then changed the settings on my volt meter to check the ohms of the regulator. I found I had resistence on everything though I dont think they are within specs of what I found listed on the website. I am considering replacing this.

At this point I am really confused on what the problem could be. Any other ideas or suggestions how I can fix this?

Other ideas:
1) Maybe there is some heat sensor that keeps the bike from starting when hot and this needs to be replaced
2) There is a short somewhere that is draining the battery while on
3) Maybe a short in the ignition
4) Gremlins
5) I bought a lemon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the bike in use:

It's a great bike, but this problem is keeping us from going on long rides
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The charging system doesn't even compensate for ignition, lights, etc., until it gets around 3000 rpm or more. If she is practicing at low speeds, she is draining the battery faster than it is being charged. One solution would be to shorten the length of the practices and charge the battery in between or for someone to ride the bike above 3,500 rpm occassionally for an extended period during the training to charge the battery.

An AGM/MF battery will do better than a wet cell, ditto iridium plugs on hot and cold starts. However, even the MF battery will be drained by long periods at slow rpms. And I'm told when the MF is drained like that, it could be ruined.

Long rides are probably the best solution to your problem!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 05-06-2009 at 04:15 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
hey i hopew this helps i had this same issue with mine there was enough voltage in the batt to turn over but not enough to fire the ignition however the issue was always be after the bike sat for a few hours and she whouldnt fire... i replaced it with a mf AGM batt from interstate and never had the issue again ... is it safe to assume u are putting it on the tender when u get home and so it fires but once there is a little draw ithe batt isnt holdin it ....

I really believe in these agm batts and believe it will solve your problem.. in addition i would change to this batt anyway the wet cell is barly gonna last a year anyways...

When u had it tested what was the cranking amps and how long of a pull can u get on it?

Another quick test is pull the tree wires from the stator to the harness and measure ac voltage between 2 of each of the 3 wires i believe 30 - 40 volts ac is suposed to be the reading then turn the bike off and mesure resistance between the 3 wires and ground this should be infinite... those 2 tests will eliminate the stator as the issue ... however i dont believe the stator is the problem i believe its the batt

Also double check connections, and grounds these are also commo issues with these bikes

u have a great bike i love mine and i hope the issue gets resolved soon

In addition to the batt also get a set or iridium plugs though expensive they are lesss intrusive on our weak electrical system and power performance and gass milage will all improve

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator

Last edited by seebeeare; 05-06-2009 at 04:26 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:12 PM

There is no heat/over-heat sensor/shut down on these bikes...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
There is no heat/over-heat sensor/shut down on these bikes...
Good point, Doug. Figured she would notice temp gauge, but it might not be working. The draw of the fan would just add to the battery drain, if that's her problem. I've put on almost 1,000 miles and my fan has never come on that I know of. Course I'm not idiling in traffic and full summer hasn't hit yet either.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 AM
The Professor

As previously stated replace the wet cell with an MF AGM battery, links below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-...item3eee173adb

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra..._campaign=Base

They are made by the same manufacturer.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

Our bikes are known for their hot start problems when using a wet cell battery. As everyone stated thus far and we arent kidding, replace the battery with a MF AGM a.s.a.p. You will be happy that you did.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the forum ateavey. It`s probably wise on your part not to have chosen a handle like "Harley Gal" on the Vulcan forum, eh? We`ve been known to give "Hardley" riders a good natured ribbing at times. <BG> I know it may be sacrilege to admit that some members here are former or current H-D owners, but it`s true, and we still love them anyway. LOL It`s nice to hear your compliment about the Vulcan`s power. What model Harley do you ride? I think if I ever move up to a bigger bike, a Road King Classic would be one of my first choices. I would be interested in reading your comparison of the vn750 with your H-D.

Almost every member here who has experienced hard starting problems with the vn, has reported that changing up to a MF-AGM battery and NGK iridium plugs has solved the problem.

Regarding the problem of needing 3 or 4 hands to hold the voltmeter and probes, while reving the engine, let me offer an idea that I`m going to try. Locate and purchase a pair of 3" battery charger clamps, and squeeze the wire clamp end tight enough to grip the probes, while the other end is clamped onto the battery terminals. Smaller alligator clips could be similarly modified to hold light gauge wires in other circumstances.

I hope this helps, and you are soon on the road with the wind in your face. Keep the rubber on the road.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-07-2009 at 01:36 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 01:39 PM

Advance Auto Parts sells the iridium plugs for our bike and seem to be cheaper then some online places.

Sold 750 (9-09)
Bought '07 900 Classic "LT" (6-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
Adjusted Mix Screws (4-09)
Drilled Baffles 8 holes (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Metzelers ME880 170/80 in back 100/90 in front (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Kuri Longhorn pegs (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Highway bar/ engine guard(FS)
Some saddlebags no idea which ones
Facebook group Vulcan 750 Riders (Invite Only Group)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement