would just like everyones thoughts, thanks - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Concert connoisseur

Garage
would just like everyones thoughts, thanks

shop called me today, they said the stator is bad. their words quote " they got a different reading this time and it has an intermittent short to ground, and it should not have any ground". now I'm sure they probably said that to cover their butt and get another 40.00 out of me for rediagnosing it. but does that sound reasonable. they are quoting me 466.15 for parts and labor which sounds like an excellent price except I do not have 466.15 to have them do it.
my questions are, about how much total cost will it add up to to do this myself including gaskets and threadlock and all those little hidden costs besides the stator from ricks and do you think my 86 with 30,000 miles on it is worth putting it into, I would think yes cause it was a pretty good running and clean bike.
and yes, does anyone need a roommate because my wife is gonna **** the bed when I pull this up into our spare bedroom to work on it. let me rephrase that, when she see's it in our spare bedroom cause I'm gonna pull it in there when she ain't home and tear it down as far as I can before she gets there. I will drain the fluids and stuff first of course and put down a piece of plywood and tarp.
gonna pick it up tomorrow and there is no further charge for diagnosing since they missed it when they replaced the rr.

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Cost depends upon how many tools you need. If you don't need anything major (like a motorcycle jack) or can borrow some stuff, the obvious costs would be the stator ($135?), left side gasket ($20), and bits and sundries like gasket sealant, threadlock (red), etc. The biggest challenge, particularly on an older bike (depending upon how well it's been managed), are the unforeseen issues - the bolt that breaks and you have to buy a bolt-out kit; small bits that need to be replaced as you go through the process, etc. That said, it shouldn't cost you $500! Just a lot of patience...and maybe your sleeping place. Folks here will walk you through whatever you need - for free!

C
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 PM

Question Motorcycle Jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Cost depends upon how many tools you need. If you don't need anything major (like a motorcycle jack) or can borrow some stuff, the obvious costs would be the stator ($135?), left side gasket ($20), and bits and sundries like gasket sealant, threadlock (red), etc. The biggest challenge, particularly on an older bike (depending upon how well it's been managed), are the unforeseen issues - the bolt that breaks and you have to buy a bolt-out kit; small bits that need to be replaced as you go through the process, etc. That said, it shouldn't cost you $500! Just a lot of patience...and maybe your sleeping place. Folks here will walk you through whatever you need - for free!
Cindy --

Could you please provide a link to the type of moto jack you're referring to or maybe a description?

Is it something like this Blackjack 1000?

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Bl...000-p/tpbj.htm

Thanx!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Concert connoisseur

Garage
thanks c, so it should run under 200.00. time to tear her down and skin some knuckles. man I am good at breaking bolts (fingers crossed)! I do have a helluva tool set plus the forums here, most important tool of all.

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 PM

Take a look at the description of this one from this HD site: http://hdforums.com/forum/softail-mo...-any-good.html

I have two from Pep Boys - not exactly like this one, but awfully close. Because we have the centerstand, you won't need something like the Motorcycle Jack in your weblink. You want something that you can slide under the engine so you can pull it out of the frame once you've unbolted it. THe Pep Boys one isn't even close to great, but definitely is more than good enough for getting the engine out of the frame.

C
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Removing the gas tank before bringing the bike into the house is a plus. To me, there is nothing worse then the smell of gasoline. Just a thought.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Just another little addition to niteriders suggestion. Turn the petcock off, and run all the fuel out of the carbs too.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
intermittent short to ground
Does this mean that if they measure it, it is shorted, but if you measure it yourself it looks ok?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 AM

if you have a harbor fright by you they have some cheap jacks , watch what you get frojm them tho , some stuff is good and cheap , some stuff is crap. i bought a trans jack from them when i did my sons clutch , it worked great , 50 bucks , only used it once so far, but when i need it again i will have it .

and you can tell the wife , ITS MY HOUSE AND I WILL BRING ANYTHING IN IT I WANT. (IN YOUR HEAD ) but what comes out should be .
sorry dear , i will have it out in no time , clean up the mess , and take you out for dinner for letting me do this,
flower might help , have them when she comes home and give them to her before she sees the bike

DRAGONRIDER
RIDE LONG AND RIDE SAFE
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
sorry dear , i will have it out in no time , clean up the mess , and take you out for dinner for letting me do this,
flower might help , have them when she comes home and give them to her before she sees the bike
Wib, DO NOT, under any circumstances, give your wife flowers before she sees the bike. Here's the deal, guys: women are genetically coded to know that a gift of flowers - out of the blue - is because one's partner did something terribly wrong. If you haven't done anything obviously wrong before you give her the flowers, she'll ask, "What have you done?" It won't be "Thank you, honey," trust me. And then you'll be in trouble for not telling her ahead of time, the flowers will be for naught (she may throw them at you), ad nauseum.

Now I must recalculate the cost of repair:

Tell your wife ahead of time your plans - and do say all the things dragonrider offers in the first sentence up there. But, tit for tat, you may have to buy her something of equal or greater value to the cost of the repair. So now you're looking at at least $400. Consider the alternative of having the shop do the work: You pay the shop $500, your wife gets to buy what she wants for $500. Still more cost effective to do the work at home.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement