VN700 dead battery - First post , help please :-) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

VN700 dead battery - First post , help please :-)

Hey guys

Apologies for my first post being in this section, I intend to introduce myself when I get more time !

I brought a 1986 VN700 last night for 750.00

The chap I brought it off said the battery was dead and the bike does start fine off jump leads from a car battery, and runs absolutely great. I had to ride the bike home 25 miles, and did so with no problems.

Just a quick question:
After running for 45 mins, shouldn't there have been enough power in the battery to start the bike again straight after switching off ? It made a few attempts at slowly turning over the starter motor, then nothing apart from the usual dead battery clicks.
Also, the tacho was only working on and off (not sure if this has anything to do with a dead battery).

I have ordered a new battery today so cant really do anything else till that comes as I have no jump leads to get it started.

Just after a few ideas really as to if the problem is just the battery.

Apologies for a long post, and I await your opinions with appreciation !!!!!

Cheers,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
Welcome, David!

I'm having a similar issue myself! I haven't had opportunity to try the suggestions made by the good folks here, but they are helpful and willing. I am having my new YUASA battery load tested this evening, as well as checking the battery cables and the frame ground connection.. If it's none of those things, they've indicated a possible issue with the charging system.

I hope this helps a little, and perhaps we'll be able to help each other figure this out.

And welcome!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the forum and the madnes that is Vulcan, David. Congrats on the new ride, you are going to love it, even though th vn has a few issues, as do most bikes, as I am learning.

The electrical charging system is marginal. If you had to boost the battery last night before the ride home, it did not get fully charged by the bikes electrical system. Many riders keep their bikes on a battery tender overnight. The battery is mainly for starting the bike, and the charging system for keeping it running once started. If you rely on the charging system to recharge a depleted battery, it is hard on the stator and regulator-rectifier, and will lead to premature failure. You want to avoid this, as it virtually requires pulling the engine to remove the left side cover to change out the stator.

I hope the new battery you ordered is a Maintenance Free- Absorbed Glass Mat (MF-AGM) type, and not an ordinary Lead Acid type. If not, try to contact the supplier and see if you can change the order before they ship it. Go to the verses and the electrical forum for much more info about this.

Changing to NGK iridium spark plugs has also made a big difference in ease of starting and better running, many members report. You want NGK DPR7EIX-9 Iridium. They are pricey, or a bit dear, as you Brits say, but worth it. (I am asuming you are a Brit from the reference of 750 pounds price of your bike).

You can make a set of motorcycle jumper cables quite economically with an 8 to 10 foot long piece of 14 or 16 gauge 2 conductor lamp cord or extension cord wire, 2 sets of medium sized battery charger clamps and 4 pieces of heat shrink tubing. OK, the UK has 220 volt and your cords are heavier, so use 2 pieces of automotive primary wiring, in the same gauges as above.

Make sure you slide the heat shrink tubing on the wire before attaching the clamps, and get both black clamps on opposite ends of the same wire. Then the same for red clamps. Using several more pieces of the shrink tubing every 6 inches or so, around both wires will keep them together and neater. The set I made took 30-40 minutes and weighs about a pound. It will roll up small enough to fit in a side jacket pocket or the sissy bar toolbox.

We can tackle the tach issue after you get the bike running, and see if it is still a problem.

While waiting for the battery, go over the whole bike, checking that all nuts and bolts are tight. All electrical connectors are clean and packed with DIELECTRIC GREASE. All grounds (earth wires, to you, I believe) are clean and tight.

We recommend using Seafom fuel additive here in N. America, but it is not available in the UK. Find something similar available to you, and use it as required.

As mentioned before, spend a little time in the Verses and the various forums for many ideas on things do or watch for.

I almost forgot the rear splines. If you do not have a maintenance log book from the previous owner and do not know if the splines were greased when the last new rear tire was installed, you will want to do it in the near future. You might want to change all your fluids, so you know what you have. Now I have to apologise for my long post... I hope you are up and riding again soon. Hoss

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbear View Post
Hey guys

Apologies for my first post being in this section, I intend to introduce myself when I get more time !

I brought a 1986 VN700 last night for 750.00

The chap I brought it off said the battery was dead and the bike does start fine off jump leads from a car battery, and runs absolutely great. I had to ride the bike home 25 miles, and did so with no problems.

Just a quick question:
After running for 45 mins, shouldn't there have been enough power in the battery to start the bike again straight after switching off ? It made a few attempts at slowly turning over the starter motor, then nothing apart from the usual dead battery clicks.
Also, the tacho was only working on and off (not sure if this has anything to do with a dead battery).

I have ordered a new battery today so cant really do anything else till that comes as I have no jump leads to get it started.

Just after a few ideas really as to if the problem is just the battery.

Apologies for a long post, and I await your opinions with appreciation !!!!!

Cheers,
David
Check ALL your ground connections when you replace the battery.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Hey chaps

Yeah I am from England

I appreciate all the information so far and intend on going over the bike checking the basics while I wait for the battery. It is a MF battery yes.

I will keep you posted ,

Many thanks
David
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
sunbear u are on the right track and in the right place u bought a trooper of a scoot you will be happy.. this forum has walked me through the simplest of repairs to the complex rebuilds all the answers u will need is right here u may want to pick up a clymers and or a kawasaki service manual for your scoot

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

I just cannot wait to get out there chugging around the country side with the straight through pipes disturbing the wildlife lol
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys, my battery has just been delivered so it will be put on charge as soon as i get home from work. In the meantime I am looking for the iridium plugs. Can someone confirm how many are needed please.

Thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 AM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbear View Post
Hi guys, my battery has just been delivered so it will be put on charge as soon as i get home from work. In the meantime I am looking for the iridium plugs. Can someone confirm how many are needed please.

Thanks
DPR7EIX-9 you will need 4 of them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NGK-IRIDIUM-UP...1%7C240%3A1318

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 04-23-2009 at 07:27 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Cheers for that, I have just ordered a set
Sponsored Links
Advertisement