fuse blowing when indicators switched on - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

fuse blowing when indicators switched on

Hi again
I've bought wiring harness ignition switch and RR. I installed everything and all looked straight forward, colour coded...
I turned the ignition on and the three wires to the flasher unit started burning So i disconected this and now everytime i try the indicators it pops the 10amp tail fuse And my horns dont work either.
I replaced the fuse and i get all lights brake light, tacho lights etc. But switch indicator on and pop...
IS there a conection between horn and indicators. Crossed wires am i missin summit... working on bike again tommorow and see if i can find the fault...

Ps somtimes the indicator light on the dash glows dimly
any help / suggestions again be mucho appreciated,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Sounds like wires might be crossed somewhere with the indicators.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

I've just bought the harness and all looks origional and clean. I live in the uk and buying somthing from this country is usually covered in winter road salt
I picked this up from Utah USA. much drier less saltier climate i hope...
were would the wires cross within the harnes do you think. My old harness is in a bit of a mess from previous owners (10) and things look a little diffrent in places from some home grown improvments.

Does anyone now a good way to trace the fault with my digital meter
Cheers

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiaredd View Post
I've just bought the harness and all looks origional and clean. I live in the uk and buying somthing from this country is usually covered in winter road salt
I picked this up from Utah USA. much drier less saltier climate i hope...
were would the wires cross within the harnes do you think. My old harness is in a bit of a mess from previous owners (10) and things look a little diffrent in places from some home grown improvments.

Does anyone now a good way to trace the fault with my digital meter
Cheers
If your bike was originally shipped to the UK, a wiring harness for a US bike does have some differences with the headlight wiring. Not sure about signal lights. I`ll check Clymers and see what I can find, and post back.

US and Canadian bikes have a H/L dimmer switch and a 4 way hazard switch.
UK bikes have a H/L switch, a different dimmer switch and a passing button.

I can`t find anything different with the signals.

The dim glowing light on the dash makes me think you have a short between wires, or to ground some place. Good luck. I`m a pretty fair parts changer, but I HATE tracking down electrical gremlins.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-16-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: more info
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

mine is the vn700 import. all the connectors and coloured wiring looked the same. .and the harness is also the vn700 same year... It must be shorting out somwhere for a fuse to blow. Im reluctant to start stripping down this harness, as the previous one gave me a rite headache. its possible if i cant trace to just defunc the indicators and use handsignals. Done this on couple of choppers ive owned... mite save me some grief lol
cheers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The motto/slogan on Utah license plates is Ski Utah!. They get quite a bit of snow and I would expect some salt exposure to that harness. Southern California, Arizona, Texas and the southern tier of states along the Gulf Coast see very little snow. May be helpful if there is a next time on ordering a harness.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
If your bike was originally shipped to the UK, a wiring harness for a US bike does have some differences with the headlight wiring. Not sure about signal lights. I`ll check Clymers and see what I can find, and post back.

US and Canadian bikes have a H/L dimmer switch and a 4 way hazard switch.
UK bikes have a H/L switch, a different dimmer switch and a passing button.

I can`t find anything different with the signals.

The dim glowing light on the dash makes me think you have a short between wires, or to ground some place. Good luck. I`m a pretty fair parts changer, but I HATE tracking down electrical gremlins.
I don't have it handy but I am almost sure that the US wiring harness uses different color wires for the front turn indicators than the UK model according to the Haynes manual I found it to have a much better schematic than the factory manual,I don't have a Clymer manual for the Kaw but i do have one for my Honda atv and other than the schematic the Clymer is much much more detailed than the Haynes. The reason I remember is I was looking at a UK schematic trying to wire my front turn signals and I noticed it did not match the colors in my harness.After reading a little further I realized my mistake, you may have to wire it by the US/Can schematic where the turn signals are concerned,and I may be completely wrong but it is worth checking and if I am not Mistaken the European bikes have an extra bulb in the headlight housing also,just my .02,Denny

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:18 PM

It'd be near impossible to mix the signal and horn wires - 3 each for the signals (and they're those stubby connectors) and two each for the horns (power and earth wires only, female connectors coming off the wiring harness). Are the signals serving as front running lights with the bike on? And just blowing the fuse when the turn signals are used? Check the wiring between the turn signal unit and the harness; the 700 had a different set-up for the turn signals than did subsequent (post -89) 750s (700 had self-cancelling signals), so if your harness is for a 750, you may be having some difficulties there.

C
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replys.
Basically i got two connectors miss matched, both are the same but obvisiouly diffrent colour wires. I either need better lighting in the barn or i need glasses. i thought the harness was tight around the headstock ( wot a W****r ) But problem still stays with the indicators.
Not blowing fuse now, but wires heat up. Maybe faulty flasher.
Im tracing the wires back looking for scorch marks through the wiring, which i have found on the BY OG wires.
Havnt checked the horns out yet.
Cheking wire colours to make sure all matches exactly.
i will update later
Again thanks for response always good for second opinions...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

got the horns working just got the wires mixed up ie: 2 earth 2 1 and 2 live 2 other. . .
Bike starts up nicly now and good voltage. Havnt had chance to take for a run today but will do tomorrow...
And order new indiicator relay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement