Taillight, turn signals, and headlight replacement. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Taillight, turn signals, and headlight replacement.

Hello everyone, I have a 1996 Vulcan 750. I would like to replace the front and rear turn signals, taillight, and headlamp. Im looking for a cleaner look on the bike. The lights that are on the bike are 100% OEM. Im mechanically inclined so I’m not afraid to get down an dirty, but hoping to find something like plug an play lol. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to anything lol.

Anthony J. Morales
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 12:54 PM

You have plenty of options, the only thing that limits you is the power output of the bike. If you search on here there are threads that discuss that in more detail but the short answer is when the bike is “stock” you have about 75watts of additional power to use before the charging system starts to become a concern. You can offset this by changing stock bulbs with LEDs as they use less power. As far as the turn signals go, electrically speaking, you just want to be sure that the new lights support both daytime running and turn signals. There should be 3 wires for each. A lot of replacement lights only have 2 wires to support only one of the two functions. If you do go the LED route for turn signals, you’ll most likely need to install either a load resistor in line to keep the flash rate, or swap out the turn signal relay. As for the headlight goes I’m not sure if you’re looking to replace the entire bucket or just the bulb. If bulb only, there’s a million LEDs on the market. If you do then search “RLU” bypass. It’s a pretty quick and simple mod that helps to handle the wattage difference between LED and standard incandescent bulbs. If replacing the bucket just want to be sure the mess of wiring that’s in the bucket now will fit.
That’s a lot of info but none of changes I listed are really that labor intensive.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 08:45 PM

The EP34 electronic flasher is the way to go versus load resistors, which will draw more power, .. I think. The flasher will work with the low current draw.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
You have plenty of options, the only thing that limits you is the power output of the bike. If you search on here there are threads that discuss that in more detail but the short answer is when the bike is “stock” you have about 75watts of additional power to use before the charging system starts to become a concern. You can offset this by changing stock bulbs with LEDs as they use less power. As far as the turn signals go, electrically speaking, you just want to be sure that the new lights support both daytime running and turn signals. There should be 3 wires for each. A lot of replacement lights only have 2 wires to support only one of the two functions. If you do go the LED route for turn signals, you’ll most likely need to install either a load resistor in line to keep the flash rate, or swap out the turn signal relay. As for the headlight goes I’m not sure if you’re looking to replace the entire bucket or just the bulb. If bulb only, there’s a million LEDs on the market. If you do then search “RLU” bypass. It’s a pretty quick and simple mod that helps to handle the wattage difference between LED and standard incandescent bulbs. If replacing the bucket just want to be sure the mess of wiring that’s in the bucket now will fit.
That’s a lot of info but none of changes I listed are really that labor intensive.
So I just switched to the 7" sunpie, and some genius ran the all of the wires through the bottom of the bucket, then through the top, so I had to disconnect each one... not a big deal... until it came to the ignition wires. They weaved it through the bucket as well. I had to take an oscillating saw and cut the back of the bucket out. Not cool.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement