Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Tachometer Problems

So this morning, I warmed up my bike, Tachometer was working great, about halfway through my ride to work I realized that it and the temperature gauge had completely quit working, the bike seemed to run fine so I rode it the rest of the way to work with no problems, except for no tach or temp gauge. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:11 AM
The Professor

Check your fuses, ground connections under the seat and the tach connector in the HL bucket.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks Lance, I'll do that as soon as I get home tonight

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:41 AM

im going to agree with lance with this one.... either lost power or grounded out.... do the easy stuff first.. check the fuses...
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks Lance and BigRepp for the help, but I don't have the best news...

When I went to start the bike on my way home from work, I noticed that the heads up display was not lighting up, ie: the nuetral light and oil light where not lighting up with the ignition in the "on" position, but thankfully the engine started as usual, and I naively played this off as a purely electrical problem. However, the highway near my home has a long, gradual climb up a ridge and while riding up this ridge, in 4th gear (maybe 3rd, but I don't think the RPM's where that high) and at approximately 40 mph the bike lost power, it felt like it was missing, but it continued to run at appoximately 50% power, I was in traffic so shifted down because I wanted to maintain speed, I regained speed, shifted back up and rode as slowly as safely possible to my home, once there...

I realized in addition to my tachometer/temp gauge and oil warning and neutral light being out, my front headlight, as well as my bright headlight and standard headlight indicators on the HUD were out, but both turn signals and turn signal indicators on the HUD are working.

I checked battery wiring and grounding, fuses, wiring under both side covers and in the headlight bay and found nothing...

Any Suggestions?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

does it sound like a stator problem?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by km60155 View Post
Thanks Lance and BigRepp for the help, but I don't have the best news...

When I went to start the bike on my way home from work, I noticed that the heads up display was not lighting up, ie: the nuetral light and oil light where not lighting up with the ignition in the "on" position, but thankfully the engine started as usual, and I naively played this off as a purely electrical problem. However, the highway near my home has a long, gradual climb up a ridge and while riding up this ridge, in 4th gear (maybe 3rd, but I don't think the RPM's where that high) and at approximately 40 mph the bike lost power, it felt like it was missing, but it continued to run at appoximately 50% power, I was in traffic so shifted down because I wanted to maintain speed, I regained speed, shifted back up and rode as slowly as safely possible to my home, once there...

I realized in addition to my tachometer/temp gauge and oil warning and neutral light being out, my front headlight, as well as my bright headlight and standard headlight indicators on the HUD were out, but both turn signals and turn signal indicators on the HUD are working.

I checked battery wiring and grounding, fuses, wiring under both side covers and in the headlight bay and found nothing...

Any Suggestions?
Welcome to the forum km. Too bad it is bike problems that bring you here though. We will have to use your full nickname or always lowercase km, to avoid mixing you up with a long time member who is a regular poster here. He goes by the name of KnifeMaker, sometimes abreviated to KM (upper case). .

Have you pulled off the seat and checked the voltage is ~13 V directly at the battery terminals. Is your electrolyte up to the full mark?, or do you have a MF-AGM battery? Your voltage should increase with engine speed to 14-15 V at 4000-5000 rpm. If your voltage reads close to this your stator is probably OK.

lance will probably have more suggestions for you, but recently I read some threads regarding the tach sensor working off the front cylinder ignition coil and/or spark plug wires. One member whose tach wasn`t working had just repaired or replaced it, and had pinched some wires in the headlight bucket when reassembling.

Your mention of only 50% power makes me think the front cylinder is not firing and may have something to do with the tach not operating. It still does not explain all the other electrical problems though. Check that all plug wires are tight.

Pull the plugs and check condition for color, damaged electrode, carboned up or wet with gas or oil, etc. While they`re out check for spark too. You will be able to identify which cylinder is not firing.

Of all the things that go wrong with bikes and autos I hate chasing down electrical gremlins the worst. Good luck.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-17-2009 at 02:27 PM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the warm welcoming, I hope the weather is as nice in Alberta today as it is here in the NC mountains, I just wish I was ridin'! And thanks a lot for the advice, I have the Kawa Manual, but I'm a rookie when it comes to workin' on motorcycles, and the help is greatly appreciated.

I did check the voltage when I pulled the MF EverStart out to check electrolyte levels, grounding, and connections. My meter read ~12.5V when it was disconnected. I would check it while its running as you suggested, but I'm worried about causing more damage since it seemed to get progressively worse yesterday, and since the Tach doesn't work. Should I go ahead and get a reading while estimating 4-5k rpm's?

I have recently checked the plugs, they looked to be in good condition, but I'll go back and make sure the plug leads are tight, but I don't quite understand how this could cause all the other symptoms besides miss firing. But like you said, electrical problems can be a wild goose chase.

I started to check the resistance at the R/R cable as per the manual, but I had trouble removing the connector and I'm not real quick with a voltmeter.

I'll keep trying, and updating.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Wait for lance to chime in on this. He is a licenced auto mechanic and did a total rebuild on his own bike a year or two ago, including some internal mods that are unique to his bike. He`s one of our best go-to-guys on the forum right now. I`m a pretty good parts changer, but just so-so at diagnosing problems.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:52 PM
The Professor

I would not worry about the R/R at this point. Check wire harness thoroughly from battery to HL, you may need to pull the pilot box and check bulbs and wires. It is very possible your JB has crapped out.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS