Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Scooter 007
  • 1 Post By Knifemaker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Hey all, has anyone else has seen this? Since the world is basically closed I have plenty of time to search for little projects to keep me busy. I came across this automatic turn signal system. It’s called the ST2.

https://safer-turn.com/smart-turn-system/

According to their site it’s compatible with the VN750 so I looked up any videos I could find and found this:

https://youtu.be/tsElYjllJfI

The module works by being installed in line with the switch and signaling wiring plus tapping into a 12v source. That part doesn’t seem too bad, what concerns me is that you need to open the turn signal switch assembly switch and “modify” it so the switch can’t latch into either direction. They give you some small rubber discs to insert into the switch housing to prevent the switch from locking to the left or right but still allow it to make contact to send a right or left turn signal to the module and return to center. The module will then sense the bikes movement and cancel the signal. The idea looks great on paper but I’m leery of opening up the switch housing, after a couple years of learning the nuances of being a vn750 owner I’m not sure this would be an easy task.
Has anyone had the right-hand switch open before? Curious to hear opinions before I get adventurous.

Last edited by mmart; 05-06-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 10:08 AM
Grumpy Old Man

I see a lot of switch assemblies on eBay in the $20 range. Maybe pick one up to experiment on and then do yours or swap them out.
MSattler likes this.

Grumpy “Old” Man

Last edited by Scooter 007; 05-06-2020 at 10:22 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 10:31 AM
Old Fart

Garage
You mean left hand switch? Jeez it’s been so long since I’ve been on a Vulcan I can’t remember what side the turn signal switch is on...lol

I believe the first model Vulcans had self cancelling signals. Not sure if one could be retro fitted to a newer model.

So how much does this thing cost? Not sure I’d spend $80 for something my thumb does fine. Don’t really get the “safety” aspect as I don’t need to take my “eyes off the road” to use the stock turn switch.
MSattler likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 05-06-2020 at 10:36 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I would be concerned that the mechanism would sense a swerve and turn the signal off without my being aware of it and create a potentially bad situation.

I'd rather pay attention to checking the signals after my turn and switching off manually.

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
You mean left hand switch? Jeez it’s been so long since I’ve been on a Vulcan I can’t remember what side the turn signal switch is on...lol

I believe the first model Vulcans had self cancelling signals. Not sure if one could be retro fitted to a newer model.

So how much does this thing cost? Not sure I’d spend $80 for something my thumb does fine. Don’t really get the “safety” aspect as I don’t need to take my “eyes off the road” to use the stock turn switch.
D’oh! Yes Left hand switch lol. I honestly didn’t look up the price. I posted this out of curiosity. In the vid the guy mentioned if you have a choke stuff could pop out and that would be my luck. I figured someone at some point took apart the switch housing. I did some switch work on an old scooter I had previously but never opened these up and didn’t want to find out the hard way. I thought it was neat, not a must have, maybe a nice to have. I’d be lying if I said I always remember to shut my signals.

Same guy who did the install video has a test video

https://youtu.be/twNrQldtSDw
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 05:28 PM

Garage
Just to touch on what Knifemaker said, the old self-cancelling switches used a latching signal switch and a solenoid that could pop the switch back into 'off'. It had some additional wiring and a different flasher module (that can control the solenoid), and a distance sensor (part of the speedometer gauge?), so it isn't a 1-to-1 replacement piece.

This guy's invention is intriguing, but ... I wouldn't try to retro-fit something that would mechanically move the switch. Just seems like too many things could go wrong with rubber-bands and tuning things to be juuuuust right.

I have kicked around the idea in the past of tapping into the odometer signal and run that to a microcontroller that could block the turn signal if the signal has been flashing for more than 1/8 mile or something. The drawback is if the signal was shut off by that system and you wanted to re-activate it, you'd have to manually flip the switch to off, then turn it back on to get the signal to start flashing again.

I decided it's better to just use the signals properly!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement