Will H4 LED Replacement Bulbs Work? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Will H4 LED Replacement Bulbs Work?

I have seen H4 LED Replacement bulbs with HI/LO beam advertised on many websites and I am wondering if they will work with the HI/LO beam filament sensor on a 2006 Vulcan 750?. Is there a modification that needs to be made? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

How do you ruin a rotten egg?.....You can't!
as quoted by Mack Via (My Friend & "touched" Vietnam Vet)

Current Motorcycle
2006 VN750A
Past Motorcycles
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
1980 Yamaha Maxim XJ650G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 09:14 AM

Most bulbs will work, the issue is that the LED bulbs use less power than the standard bulbs. Because of this the RLU on the bike thinks your low beam is out and switches to high beam causing a flicker. There is a simple mod to bypass the RLU you can search on here. The mod is putting a jumper in the wiring connector where the RLU connects and you can basically remove the RLU if you want. When bulb shopping look at the power output. I have a Sealight H4/9003 LED bulb in my bike. It’s a 40w bulb, that’s pretty high for LED, but still not enough to make the RLU happy so I ultimately removed it.

SEALIGHT H4/9003 LED Motorcycle Headlight Bulb, High/Low Beam, 6000K Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z7RHYM..._XZSQEb2RYY2EE
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Thank You

How do you ruin a rotten egg?.....You can't!
as quoted by Mack Via (My Friend & "touched" Vietnam Vet)

Current Motorcycle
2006 VN750A
Past Motorcycles
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
1980 Yamaha Maxim XJ650G

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 10:26 PM
Diesel Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
It’s a 40w bulb, that’s pretty high for LED
Its "40w equivalent", not 40w power output. 40w for an LED would be insanely bright. The LED headlights installed in my car are 1w output each (4w total with high beams on) and they easily outpower the 55w halogen sealed-beams they replaced.
Similar to how household LEDs are sold. A 26w LED bulb is marketed on the box as "100w replacement"

1989 VN750
Highway blaster

2006 Honda Rebel Diesel
100mpg, low and slow

1982 Mercedes 300D
Modified engine, 4-speed manual

Last edited by DenverDiesel; 05-02-2020 at 10:28 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDiesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
It’s a 40w bulb, that’s pretty high for LED
Its "40w equivalent", not 40w power output. 40w for an LED would be insanely bright. The LED headlights installed in my car are 1w output each (4w total with high beams on) and they easily outpower the 55w halogen sealed-beams they replaced.
Similar to how household LEDs are sold. A 26w LED bulb is marketed on the box as "100w replacement"
I don’t disagree, I don’t think the LED chips themselves consume 40w, The bulb is just one part of a “conversion kit” more or less. A lot of these bulbs have the CANbus connector in line. Now granted, I did not hook a volt meter up to it in line to measure current draw to do the math and I probably won’t at this point since it works. But point being is that the “40w” it’s marketed as is probably the total across both circuits (high and low) and this number is what you should pay attention to in our case when shopping these bulbs. Realistically, when the avg person buys household lighting and they see “100 watt equivalent” they’re taking into consideration the brightness even though lumens is the actual measurement for that, but again the avg person doesn’t care about that and is looking to cut a few bucks off the utility bill.
Fortunately household lighting doesn’t have a finicky VN750 R/R to worry about frying either
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 10:59 PM
Diesel Tech

Changing the headlight to LED won't affect the R/R.

1989 VN750
Highway blaster

2006 Honda Rebel Diesel
100mpg, low and slow

1982 Mercedes 300D
Modified engine, 4-speed manual
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 09:10 AM

I don’t think I agree with that. But I don’t want to hijack this thread discussing something that’s been discussed multiple times already. So to the original poster, the answer is “yes they’ll work” and best to bypass the RLU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement