Pick up Mod question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Pick up Mod question

What’s up all, so like the rest of the country (and most of the world) I don’t have anywhere to go right now so I figured it’s probably a good time to try and tackle some mods. The first I’d like to do is the pick up coil mod because hot starts are a b-tch. I have a new(less than a year) AGM battery which has improved it, but I still have problems when stopping for gas or at store etc..
I ordered a feeler gauge and a set of diamond burr bits for my dremmel but I still have a question.
I found this thread

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-elect...ance-pics.html

It’s a really great write up, very detailed, but the only thing I’m unsure of is how to judge the gap measurement. I haven’t popped off the cover plate yet so I haven’t seen this stuff first hand before. Do you just slide the gauge in between the center of the coil (between the screws)and the rotor? Or is there a trick I’m missing. And is it possible to make it too close?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 12:38 PM

Need to measure the gap between the face of the pickup coil and one of the magnets on the rotor.

Line one of the magnets up with the pickup coil, then measure and adjust to the gap you want. The magnet will make using the feeler gauge a little tough, but you can get it.

I don't have the P/U coil or ign. relay mods, but the Two Wire mod improved hot starts on mine.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Ok, when you say it’ll make it hard, is that simply because we’re dealing with steel and magnets? I was thinking about taking the feeler gauge apart in hopes that the magnet might just hold it in place while I adjusted the coil distance.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
Ok, when you say itíll make it hard, is that simply because weíre dealing with steel and magnets? I was thinking about taking the feeler gauge apart in hopes that the magnet might just hold it in place while I adjusted the coil distance.
Yes, the magnet will put a lot of drag on the gauge.

It might work the way you're thinking, just re-check it after you tighten the screws. I've seen gaps get smaller after the gauge is removed, when setting it tight as you described.

Taking the blades of the gauge apart does help sometimes.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

That’s good to know. I’ll pay attention to that. That “pull” is the same reason I figured it would be better to not break off the nub and burr down the coil itself. With the nub I know it can only go move so far after I put the cover back on.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

on mine, it took opening the top hole on the pickup, as well as removing the nub to get it down to 0.020 inch.. I didnt grind the nub, I had a pair of diagonal cutters that cut it off right flush. I did use a file on the holes

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

How did the mod improve the performance for you?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

the 'butt dyno' said it gave me a little more umph, but the real reason was to solve the hot restart problem. it solved it totally (and the AGM battery)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Ok good that sounds promising. So the last question( for now at least) that I put in the first post is can it be “too close” and what adverse effects can happen if any.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

as with any magnetic pickup in any use, gap can be critical. from the factory, the gap on the pickup coils is probably 40-50 thou.. dropping it to 20 seems to be the sweet spot.

I imagine it could change the timing a small amount (degree or 2 max), and possibly the spark duration (if the CDI does multiple sparks per ignition cycle, which I dont think it does). since the insides of the CDI are kinda mystical, we dont really know when the spark is generated during the pulse received from the pickup. it could be leading edge, 'centered/peak' or on trailing edge. the closer the coil is to the magnet, the longer in duration the pulse, and stronger. I believe its the stronger pulse that cures the hot start problems that are not cured by AGM batteries.

when I set mine, I used a metal feeler gauge, of course it stuck to the magnet, but I put the feeler gauge between the pickup and the magnet and set the coil down to the feeler gauge. then I removed the feeler gauge and verified the coil didnt move once I pulled the gauge.

if your off a couple thou I doubt it will make a difference.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement