Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Faulty ignition module upgrade or mods?

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  JoyRider 
#1 ·
Hi all, ive been lurking in the distance for a while since i got this bike a couple years ago and now I cant seem to find my answer so I figured id register and ask.

Ive got a 2001 vulcan vn750, mods done include vance and heins pipes, and an ear shave kit, extended forwaed controls and thats about it. The bike currently has just over 10,000 miles, I put about 2800 since I got it, the bike was my uncles and was given to me. He had a lot of carb issues so he got a Harley, when he had carb issues the bike was constantly on a charger so i think that may of had something to do with this problem. Ive only had the bike for about 2 years.

End of last season I tried to get out a few more times and I kept having issues with intermittently losing spark on my front cylinder. I read through a few threads and tested my ignition coils and pickups, I even swapped my coils and the problem stayed on the front cylinder so its not coils and both pickups tested good, Ive narrowed it down to the ignition module itself and with the bike being 19 years old They dont make that part anymore.

Not wanting to take the risk of having a faulty used part I was thinking, if I am reading right, the coil pickups trigger the module when to fire which cylinder, the gm vortec engines and other engines do the same thing, could I possibly remove my faulty ignition module and retro fit a gm or other series ignition module to my bike? I know its kinda frenkinstining, but I just dont know what to do. I am very mechanically inclined as well as electrically, if anyone has any other ideas or solutions, or even know where i can purchase a new module i would appreciate the input.

See less See more
#3 ·
Two recent posts, this first one had a bad wire from the CDI to the front coil, the wire had actually been fixed by a previous owner, and re-done by the poster of this thread when the spark died again. Maybe find that wire and test it?

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/105025-something-funky-front-cyl-ignition.html

Second thread has a link to a replacement CDI that's plug and play, and also cheaper than OEM replacements: https://www.vn750.com/forum/22-carbs-fuel-system/105111-adding-vacuum-manifold-3.html#post1283267

Link to the ignition, you might message Jason and see how it worked out, but also read the thread to make sure I pulled the correct link: (doc file) http://www.ignitech.cz/zdroj/en/vyro...50 TCIP4.doc

Link I found using the model number for the unit: https://www.ignitech.cz/old/english/tcip/tcip.htm

#6 ·
Think i traced down my problem, the pigtail that comes from the pickup coils, where it connects to the main harness behind the left cover, im guessing there was a loose connection there. I let it run for 30 minutes with no issues. Now off to finish my single carb conversion. Y'all enjoy and stay safe

#7 ·
Interesting fix, have to keep it in mind.

How do you like the forward controls? A while back there was a bunch of those on eBay at around $100-150, originally $700. Almost grabbed a set.

In your original post, which GM ignition were you thinking about?

#8 ·
Well, not even 20 minutes after i posted that reply I lost all front spark period. I made a jumper wire for the trigger wire on the front coil, and junped it to the ignitor output for the front coil with no change and my pickups going into the ignitor were good. So i bought a new ignitor for 50 bucks and it makes my bike so much faster start and smoother idle.

#9 ·
@Spockster, I love the forward controls, they were on the bike when I got it so i dont honestly know the difference between that and stock. I was originally thinking the gm hei ignition or vortec ignition, but i read up on the cdi and because it controls red line, spark advance, and other operations, the gm units do not so they wont work without other mods, or massive horsepower loss.

#10 ·
Thanks, if I keep mine I may watch for a set, kick me for not buying when I saw them.

Was curious about the ignition idea, hard to do without getting a computer involved. On the old Hondas with points, we used to put Delco coils on them, I don't see why that wouldn't work, even something like Accel or MSD coils. Accel did have a double plug wire version to use on the VN, but those are scarce now. Tanner got the last pair I spotted, another smokin' deal off ebay.

#11 ·
I end up kicking myself a lot for missing deals lol. I was thinking of splitting the ignition system into 2 versions one for front and one for rear but couldnt find anything that controlled spark advance electronically like the vn does. A computer program or something like old points ignition advance could be possible but I dont have the time or want to to deal with that.

#13 ·
My thoughts exactly. And full time college and 60+ hour weeks leave little tume for projects lol. Still got the ole truck apart😂😂😂😂 so i said screw it and bought an ignitor. Took a chance on a used ignitor for 50 bucks. Seems to do the trick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.