What's The Recommended Stator Source in 2020? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

What's The Recommended Stator Source in 2020?

I have been trying to do my homework on this.

'01 Vulcan I did the tests, all three yellow wires are grounding out at 0 ohms.

Not an awesome discovery on the first nice day of the year after a flatbed ride home.

Anyway, I have seen posts saying OEM can be had for $400 or so, which doesn't sound appealing since this one died with under 12K miles on the clock.

Then I have seen a few posts about smaller shops that used to make them available but are apparently not still in business 10 or 12 years later.

Tell me, people, where can a guy get a good stator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 09:10 AM

You’re correct stating that the OEM stator is about $400. I replaced mine last summer. I’ve read mixed reviews on the other brands so I ended up going OEM thinking “this is a one time repair!!”

But I’ll say this, you’ll read on here that the bike doesn’t charge at low RPMs with the original stator. I noted this myself because I have a voltmeter installed on the bike and my original stator did not charge or bump up the voltage when it was idling. Once I had the new one installed I Immediately started seeing the voltage levels increase as soon as I started the bike up. So I don’t know if Kawasaki’s replacements were just made better then what was sold in the bikes or the one I had was just limping along until it completely blew out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 09:48 AM

I could be wrong, but wouldn't 0 ohms mean no connection to ground?

Last time I looked there some rewound stators available, either williescycle or cycletronics had a page on ebay.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
I could be wrong, but wouldn't 0 ohms mean no connection to ground?

Last time I looked there some rewound stators available, either williescycle or cycletronics had a page on ebay.

I read that as “0 ohms, meaning NO resistance or continuity to ground”

The stator leads unplugged should read infinite resistance if testing from any of the leads to the engine block or negative battery lead etc
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeah the stator wires should be infinite ohms to the motor case or frame.

Zero ohms is what you get on two ends of a wire or a spoon. No resistance because it's conducting through there.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
You’re correct stating that the OEM stator is about $400. I replaced mine last summer. I’ve read mixed reviews on the other brands so I ended up going OEM thinking “this is a one time repair!!”

But I’ll say this, you’ll read on here that the bike doesn’t charge at low RPMs with the original stator. I noted this myself because I have a voltmeter installed on the bike and my original stator did not charge or bump up the voltage when it was idling. Once I had the new one installed I Immediately started seeing the voltage levels increase as soon as I started the bike up. So I don’t know if Kawasaki’s replacements were just made better then what was sold in the bikes or the one I had was just limping along until it completely blew out.
I wish I were so confident about it being a one time repair. I have seen people say they had to do it twice or more.

Voltmeter seems like a must-have for this bike. I have a few bookmarked and getting one on order soon.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post

I wish I were so confident about it being a one time repair. I have seen people say they had to do it twice or more.

Voltmeter seems like a must-have for this bike. I have a few bookmarked and getting one on order soon.

Just to clarify, when I say “one time repair” that just means my a$$ ain’t paying to do it again. I’m handy and can do plenty but I’m not a mechanic and I don’t have a garage or even a yard that I could use to dismantle the bike and do this myself. If it goes again it’ll probably be new bike time. I regret not getting the modded plate but I also don’t regret shelling out the extra cash for it.

The voltmeter is handy, but I would recommend wiring it directly to the battery with an on/off switch. I ran mine in parallel with led driving lights off the accessories leads in the headlight and I get slightly lower readings with it compared to my multimeter directly on the battery when I lock at them simultaneously. Point being is there is some voltage drop through the wiring of the bike.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 01:56 PM
Old Fart

Garage
From what I remember being on this site for oh so many years...

The early models, 1985-1986 had the least reported stator failures. The mid 90’s models the most. During that time OEM replacement stators seemed just as failure prone. Late 90’s and the 200X models seemed better, and the replacement stators from Kawasaki did seem better.

There was a guy that sold rewound stators that seemed quite good, but I think those are not available anymore. (Tim something?)

So I’d be wary of inexpensive ones on eBay (Chinese?) and I do not think there are any American made replacements.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 04:01 PM

I put a Tim Parrot Enterprises rewound stator in my 2002 several years ago. While the rear cylinder (and who knows what else) is now trashed on that bike, the stator is probably still good. But if the stator on my 1997 fails, I seriously doubt that I am going to pull the engine out of the '02 to remove the stator and then pull the engine out of the '97 to install it in that bike. I am no longer physically able to do a job like that. If the stator fails, I will haul both bikes to the local cycle salvage yard and sell them for pocket change, and be done with Kawasaki for good.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyGuy View Post
Yeah the stator wires should be infinite ohms to the motor case or frame.

Zero ohms is what you get on two ends of a wire or a spoon. No resistance because it's conducting through there.

I checked the two sellers I mentioned, looks like willies is gone and cycletronics only had a used stator listed.

Did see the stator mod plate on ebay at $100.

No shortage of new stators under $50 though. Rick's, Caltric, Electrosport, etc.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; Today at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement