stating problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

stating problem

My friend gave me a bike .It was flooded in catrina in new orleans.I rebuild the engine and engine is spinning freely.I got me a new set of wires installed.When i try to crank it it makes a clikking noise in the starter rellay,but starter motor does not spin.,if I put a pliers to connect the bolts on the starter relay no click,only clicking when i push the start botton.It is starter or it could be smething else?also i have no electricity on the head lightand the neutral switch control light is not on even when the bike is in neutral i checked the wire(green)and the wire is o.k?Thank for help.I just want to know if the selenoid ould be bad before i remove the starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
try to jump the starter at the starter run a wire from the positive terminal of the batt to the start or use a batt charger neg to frame pos to starter (MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL )

I'm guessing that its in all the safty switches... and or relay... what is the voltage drop when u push the start button it really sounds like power is not getting to the starter

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 07:54 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maky11 View Post
My friend gave me a bike .It was flooded in catrina in new orleans.I rebuild the engine and engine is spinning freely.I got me a new set of wires installed.When i try to crank it it makes a clikking noise in the starter rellay,but starter motor does not spin.,if I put a pliers to connect the bolts on the starter relay no click,only clicking when i push the start botton.It is starter or it could be smething else?also i have no electricity on the head lightand the neutral switch control light is not on even when the bike is in neutral i checked the wire(green)and the wire is o.k?Thank for help.I just want to know if the selenoid ould be bad before i remove the starter
The soleniod contacts could be corroded, check frame , engine and battery ground wires. You starter may be siezed.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebeeare View Post
try to jump the starter at the starter run a wire from the positive terminal of the batt to the start or use a batt charger neg to frame pos to starter (MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL )

I'm guessing that its in all the safty switches... and or relay... what is the voltage drop when u push the start button it really sounds like power is not getting to the starter
yes i tried that and and starter spin over ,so it will be some safety switches I have a manual with wiring diagrams so I will try to go over with that.Thanks for advise.Is there any easy way to bypass the switchess?sorry my english I am from europe
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
The soleniod contacts could be corroded, check frame , engine and battery ground wires. You starter may be siezed.
nothing corroded but i found one ground wire not connectet.,the one from engine case.I will have to try tomorrow and will see.Thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 PM
The Professor

Quote:
nothing corroded but i found one ground wire not connectet.,the one from engine case.I will have to try tomorrow and will see.Thanks
The starter will not turn over without that wire.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
yes i tried that and and starter spin over ,so it will be some safety switches I have a manual with wiring diagrams so I will try to go over with that.Thanks for advise.Is there any easy way to bypass the switchess?sorry my english I am from europe
dont quote me on this one but im pretty sure u can jump the wires at the switches to complete the circuit double check your wiring diagrams to make sure... id use paperclips and electrical tape (for testing purposes not for perminant bypassing) .... (not professional i know but should do the trick)

Also without proper grounding its not gonna work... the last thing u want is for large amounts of current to find there way through something its not supposed to

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
maky, your starter solenoid/relay is clicking when you press the starter button, so the primary or trigger circuit is working. This indicates to me that all the safety switches are engaging properly. Use a test light or voltmeter to test for power at both bolts when you press the start button. If the relay clicks but you still only have power at the bolt nearest the battery, then the relay is faulty.

When you use the pliers to connect the two bolts, you jump across the relay and bypass the electric switch that makes the clicking noise. The starter should try to turn over when jumping across the relay like this. If it doesn`t, then either there is a poor ground connection, starter connection or the starter itself is faulty. Make sure the ground cable from battery to frame connections are clean and tight, and any other ground connections too.

Try seebeeare`s suggestion to jumpstart directly to the positive post on the starter itself. If you still do not get the starter to try to turn over, the next step is to remove it for a bench test and and diagnosis.

Let us know what you learn from trying these tests. Good luck.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 09:19 PM
The Professor

He already found the problem, he did not hook up the engine ground. That is why I suggested he check his grounds.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
He already found the problem, he did not hook up the engine ground. That is why I suggested he check his grounds.
its amaizing what ground cable can do !!I I have spark and my starter spin like crazy...Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement