Bike dies upon deceleration - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Bike dies upon deceleration

Recently I had a problem with the bike not starting at all and immediately shorting to ground. While checking for grounds I didn't find anything but when I turned the key, it lit up and I could get the bike working. The headlight was not working either decided to do the blue wire mod at the same time. The headlight now works as well.

Recently while riding, the bike would die upon downshifting and letting the revs drop to idle quickly. The battery is also draining while riding despite good reading on the battery from the r/r. The way around this to get home was to bump start after deceleration and rev at the light. Also last time I jump started it, the bike idled fine but misfired like crazy and made no power before dying.

I charged up the battery and tried reving it and it worked just fine. It sounds like multiple things happening at once but my guess is an intermittent ground somewhere. The wiring harness doesn't appear damaged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 04:31 PM

This sounds like what my bike was doing when the stator died, I never had issues with the headlight, but the stator seemed to slowly die before it completely blew out while I was on the interstate. Before that day it always seemed like I needed to throw the bike on a charger to get it to start. Once it blew, I had to keep the revs up to get home but the battery only lasts so long. If you say it’s draining the battery that’s a pretty tell-tale sign that you have a charging system issue. Either that battery is fried or it’s not getting charged back up by the bike.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
This sounds like what my bike was doing when the stator died, I never had issues with the headlight, but the stator seemed to slowly die before it completely blew out while I was on the interstate. Before that day it always seemed like I needed to throw the bike on a charger to get it to start. Once it blew, I had to keep the revs up to get home but the battery only lasts so long. If you say it’s draining the battery that’s a pretty tell-tale sign that you have a charging system issue. Either that battery is fried or it’s not getting charged back up by the bike.
I had thought it could be the battery as well and am going to take it to AutoZone to test it. The battery is a year old and can hold on a decent enough charge from the trickle charger and the stator is fairly new. I got the MOSFET r/r plus redid the weakest of the stator connectors. If it is the stator I'm disappointed since I was really hoping the better r/r would resolve that issue and not make me need to change them out every two months.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 05:26 PM

Check that stator output when/if you rule out the battery as the problem. I can’t comment on the MOSFET r/r as I still have stock and my new stator is an OEM part so I really have no experience with them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

So the state is putting out 23vac across each leg which is low but consistent. I think there was a loose connection since it was not charging away all and then started to put out 14vdc at just above idle. I undid the blue wire mod though so it looks like it's only charging when the headlight is on. I'll take it to work tomorrow and retest the battery. Will probably stop at auto zone as well on my way home to check the battery
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 12:29 AM

The other thing to check with the stator output is to make sure it’s not grounded to the chassis of the bike, there should be NO continuity between any of the yellow leads and ground.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
The other thing to check with the stator output is to make sure it’s not grounded to the chassis of the bike, there should be NO continuity between any of the yellow leads and ground.
For some reason I didn't check this yet despite checking it so many times on other stators I've done. Thanks!

Also I rode to work and gained about .3V which I'm happy with. It appears to be working now but the intermittent failures is frustrating when troubleshooting. I believe it was one of the connectors to the r/r since it wasn't fully locked into place. I also don't have a low oil pressure light which I'm not a fan of but will look into when I have the time.

In the meantime, I have another bike to swap coolant on and some fairings to clean two years of chain grease off of as well as a new set of fairing bolts to replace the many stripped ones I have. Having a garage in the winter is amazing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement