Fast blinking when riding, normal when off - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Fast blinking when riding, normal when off

Good day everyone, I have a problem with my after market blinkers (non LED). When engine is off, every blinker works fine, but after the engine warms up, turn signals blink fast that it looks like a solid light. However, if I press the hazard light button, all lights blink normally. This started after I replaced stock exhaust to Vance & Hines cruzers pipes. Have any of you heard/had anything like this and where should I start looking? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:56 AM

sounds unrelated to the V&H pipe install, sounds more like a coincidence unless some electrical wires were messed with by accident while installing.

fast blinking comes from the flasher modules, maybe you could replace the stock ones with newer solid-state flasher relays

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Old Fart

Garage
^ this. First thing I’d do is replace the flasher module and see what happens.

Tell me if I’m wrong here...Normally if one bulb burns out the lights flash faster, so I’m guessing the flasher unit senses voltage use. Thus having all lights flash (hazards) would use more juice than just two. So it seems there is just something wrong with the unit.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
sounds unrelated to the V&H pipe install, sounds more like a coincidence unless some electrical wires were messed with by accident while installing.

fast blinking comes from the flasher modules, maybe you could replace the stock ones with newer solid-state flasher relays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
^ this. First thing I’d do is replace the flasher module and see what happens.

Tell me if I’m wrong here...Normally if one bulb burns out the lights flash faster, so I’m guessing the flasher unit senses voltage use. Thus having all lights flash (hazards) would use more juice than just two. So it seems there is just something wrong with the unit.
Thank you both for the suggestion. I'll get EP34 and report back. I probably should replace the light bulbs too jic. Which ones should I get?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 04:24 PM

This is similar to my situation, my left flasher is faster than the right. I bought my bike knowing it had a few repairs and one of those repairs was a replaced turn rear signal - what they did was buy a FRONT turn signal and installed it on the back. They may have even bought one for the right. So this could be a cause as well. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddozoo View Post
Good day everyone, I have a problem with my after market blinkers (non LED). When engine is off, every blinker works fine, but after the engine warms up, turn signals blink fast that it looks like a solid light. However, if I press the hazard light button, all lights blink normally. This started after I replaced stock exhaust to Vance & Hines cruzers pipes. Have any of you heard/had anything like this and where should I start looking? Thank you in advance.

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Odometer @ October, 2019: 14,200
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

That's a good thought. I bought a new solid state relay and try that first. I had to remove the engine from the frame and split the crank case to replace a broken shifter link arm and putting it back together. Next thing is to drill holes in clutch basket and probably replace the stator for good measure (can't test it now at idling/crusing rpms) as I am not planning to do the tuxedo mod as of today.

However, I just started reading about R/R mod which I haven't done yet and not sure if my R/R is in good condition. Any advice on R/R mod? Could a bad R/R be causing fast blinking after the engine warmed up?

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by oddozoo; 12-19-2019 at 03:24 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 06:20 PM

dang! you've got a lot of work on your hands.

as for the stator, you can do a resistance test between the wires, that'll at least show a completely shorted stator. may not be necessary to replace.

the R/R mod is a good idea. I did it with a used one off some ATV. FH020 style. some places have good kits that you install yourself. https://www.roadstercycle.com/ this fella has good kits

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The flasher unit has to be compatible with the lights. If RPM has anything to do with it, and it shouldn't, it is still likely to be the flasher unit. Testing the stator and R/R is as simple as using a voltmeter to check the voltage at the battery terminals. At idle, it should be around 12V, maybe a bit less (running the bike at idle actually slowly drains the battery because the charging system does not put out enough current. When you run the RPM up to around 3000, the voltage should go up to at least 14.5V

I know nobody wants to hear this, but I'm on my third Vulcan 750, all 3 had/have the stock flasher unit and lights, and they have never caused a problem. The front signals are different, because they contain running lights. However, they use 2 filament bulbs, with a separate wire for each filament. You can use them on the rear, just don't connect the wire for the running lights. You still have to use the bulbs for the front, the front lights have 2 contacts in the socket, the rear ones only have one contact. The only modification I ever did to the turn signals was to switch to amber bulbs and clear lenses. Then I decided I liked the amber lenses better. I wish it were possible to get red lenses for the stock rear signals, so they could also be used as running lights. My Sportster has been converted so the rear signals, with red lenses, serve as turn signals, running lights, and brake lights.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Happy New Year everyone. Thanks for your help so far. I put the bike together and now I am faced with few more issues... The starter won't turn the engine over. A single starter relay click (per click of START button) and nothing. Then, I noticed the neutral light was on while in 1st gear... I'll deal with that later - disconnected that lil' green wire.

Battery measures 12.5V, when key in ON, 12.3V, 5V at the starter (between the connector rod and ground on battery). Have any of you heard or dealt with similar issues? I read about the bypass mod or even doing jump battery-to-starter (i'd do it just to hear the engine crank if at all...). Thoughts?

Thank you again gents!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:51 PM

Garage
Can you tell where the click is coming from? The relay in junction box on the left side or the solenoid on the right?
I'd probably do the bypass just to eliminate the junction box as a potential cause. You could also put the multimeter on the solenoid terminal and see if you get voltage there when the click happens... that would let you know if the relay in the junction box is ok or not.

I'd leave that neutral light connected. Depending on WHERE you remove that green wire could mess up your starter circuitry. Also, any feedback on weird behavior is useful for troubleshooting. "oh, hey, that light goes off when the shifter gets used like THIS but not like THIS", etc.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement