Fast blinking when riding, normal when off - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 04:46 PM

If you're getting 5v at the starter when you push the start button, I would look for a bad connection between the solenoid and the starter. If the cable checks ok, I'd suspect a bad solenoid.

You can jump between the two large terminals on the solenoid to see if the starter kicks in. Quite a few amps there so don't use a light gauge wire, it could burn you.

Touch the Junction Box while pushing the start button to see if you feel the single click, then do the same with starter solenoid under the right sidecover. Let us know what you find.

Always possible the battery just doesn't have enough amps to turn the starter. You could watch the battery volts as you hit start, if it drops to 5v, you found the problem, a bad battery.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Realizing this is not appropriate place for this discussion now. the engine is not cranking. I pulled the starter off and tested it with jump cables. Something is not allowing the engine to turn over. Removed the stator cover and tried to turn the engine to no avail. Does not budge clockwise at all, but did turn with resistance counterclockwise... I am not sure what's causing it but I will need to remove the right and left covers to investigate.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 09:21 AM

Take one spark plug out of each cylinder and try it.

It may have flooded a cylinder with gas and it's hydro-locking.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Take one spark plug out of each cylinder and try it.

It may have flooded a cylinder with gas and it's hydro-locking.
Had the same thought and tried that... did not help. When I attached the shifter lever, the shifter rod went inward a bit and I think the washer or circlip may have bent, or the starter idling gear that connects to the right balancer gear may have stuck... I just hope it's not a chain. Going to go tomorrow and open it up... any more suggestions are greatly appreciated!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

It's not electric, it's mechanic...

Found the issue with engine not cranking. Starter, connections, relay, and ground are good. The issue, in my case was in right-hand cover. I suspect it's the starter idling gear. When I close the cover and not tighten the screws, the engine cranks in both directions pretty freely. But if I tighten screws closer to the front of the right-hand case (around the starter clutch), the damn thing is tight as a mthfkr. I ordered a new gasket, just in case the first one i got was too thin. Also, i might have been too generous with the grease for the housing spaces of the idling gear. Any of you guys had this before?

Edit: just rewatched Roach's video, and I can see the washer is on the outside of the gear. I'll check it on Wed and hopefully that'll fix it.

Last edited by oddozoo; 01-12-2020 at 11:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement