Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Suspected Stator Failure

920 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jason Pittenger 
#1 · (Edited)
My charging voltage was 13.5V and is now 12.2V.
My idle voltage was 12.5V and is now 11.7V.
My R/R is fairly new.

I haven't tested the stator yet, as I limped it to work. I'm hoping a good charge on the battery will get me home.
I know how to test it though. I'll probably use this as a reason to winterize.

My question is, what is the preferred replacement stator?
www.kawasakipartshouse.com lists it at $437.
Amazon has one for $40.
https://www.amazon.com/Caltric-1986-2006-Motorcycle-21003-1118-21003-1280/dp/B00CX0JFVK

Is there something in between these two extremes?
I'm trying to plan/budget my winter projects.

#2 ·
Partzilla.com has the OEM for a little bit cheaper but not a whole lot with the gasket. I went with that and I get 14v just by opening the choke a little. Some people like Rick’s stators but I’ve also read people on here say they’re junk. They are like mid priced at around $200. So it’s confusing, my logic was if the stator I replaced was the original then it lasted 15 yrs, no way to prove my theory but that’s the route I went.

#3 · (Edited)
I recommend Cycletronics . I got one from them two years ago an it's been great so far. Put 2,000 miles on it so far. I just checked it today, at 1,100RPMS it puts out 14.38 volts an at 3,000RPMS it puts out 14.38 volts. I'm using a mosffet R/R.I think they are in Alabama.The stator was about $90.00 two years ago.This is a pretty good stator.

#4 ·
Thank you everyone! I started testing the charging system and found the problem was the connection from the stator to the rectifier. The connector cracked when I removed it, so it's getting quite warm as to make the plastic brittle.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.