Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Aftermarket Ignition Coils

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Spockster 
#1 ·
Any recommendations? I suspect my coils are failing. I might be jumping the gun, but are there aftermarket coils that people have used and recommended?

#2 ·
I have a used oem that I'll sell to you. I thought I needed it when I lost power to a cylinder but it was a grounded pickup coil

#3 ·
I've seen one set of performance coils since I began shopping VN parts, they were on ebay.

In the old days I ran automotive performance coils on bikes with points type ignition. Those might work on the VN, they all work on the same principle, and connect the same way.

#4 ·
I would do the 12 volt coil mod also. That should help with the hot starts.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm not familiar with this mod?

#7 · (Edited)
#10 ·
I thought the tests on your coils, hot/cold, looked ok.
I didn't have time to measure cold this morning, but hot measurements seem fine. However, I just noticed in the manual that the measurements are supposed to include the plug wires! I measured at the coil itself. :doh:

Let's say it is the slides. What would be the fix? I suspect the fix would be spraying some lubricant on them? That'd be something cheap to try, even if it wasn't the problem.

Either way, I've heard the stock ignition is only adequate. Even if the coils are good, I might upgrade. I'm still thinking about bumping the timing up to the max allowed in the manual. It states 5 at idle, but the chart shows a range of (4-6 or 4-7). :grin2:

#11 ·
So as to not be another DenverCoder9 (https://xkcd.com/979/), I discovered the issue was actually corrosion on the stator connections. My charging voltage was low. After several hours on the trickle charger, it ran great!

I'm changing my coil wiring over the winter to run direct (through a relay) with higher gauge wiring.

Reactions: norgeek and Thorn
#12 · (Edited)
Voltage is everything on this ignition. I have a theory that low voltage causes the CDi to retard timing, via that wire branching off the start circuit to the CDI. Pretty easy to check the theory, but never had time/energy to get it done.

I missed your 10-2-19 post. Problems with slides sticking can be the diaphragms and sometimes scuffing of the slide/slide bore, which can be polished smooth (vertical motion only) to ease the sticking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.