Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Blinker funk

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  oddozoo 
#1 ·
When I bought the bike, pretty much every blinker had issues (according to previous owner) so I replace all the bulbs and fixed most problems. Now the left blinkers work fine.

The front right running light is fine, but when you activate the blinker, it barely lights up.
Additionally the right rear blinker stays on like a running light when it shouldn’t. The right blinker light on the cluster also stays dimly lit.
I have checked connections at each blinker and I don’t think I have any problems.
Also, right rear blinker does not seem to be tied into any other wires.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
So a few things to check here, first the simple one, make sure that you have the correct bulbs because they are different from the front to the back, the front bulbs have two filaments because they’re running lights as well. Second, all the right side blinkers (front, back and dash) are run on the grey wire, that ties into the turn signal switch and could be making a poor connection or corroded. And I’m not sure what you meant by the rear signal not being tied into any other wires, there should be two, grey and black yellow.

#3 ·
Thanks mmart!!
I am certain the bulbs are correct, the left side works perfectly, and I’ve swapped bulbs from side to side to to make sure.
My comment about the wires not being tied into anything else was just referring to another thread I read where someone had maybe tied into the license plate bulb for power or something.

I did do so looking as far as the loose/poor connection goes. I didn’t find anything and wanted to reach out and ask to see if there were common issues like this before I unwrapped the whole bundle of wires looking for a shorted out segment or something.

#4 ·
Not a common problem. sounds like a short between wires. Before you tear the bike apart, try to narrow down where it might be happening. Move the handlebars fully in both directions and see if there is any change in the lights' behavior, which could narrow down where the short is. Put the bike's ignition in 'park'. That should cut power to the running lights in the front signals, but the hazards/blinkers should work. Could give a clue as to which wire the stray voltage is coming from.

#6 ·
Thanks!! I did just that and the blinkers start acting normal. So I believe this tell me I do in fact have other voltage sneaking in. Not sure if it’s from the front or rear though. Do you have any pointers on how to narrow it down any further? Once again I appreciate yalls help

#7 ·
Sounds like you have a short between the blue wire and the gray wire at your front right blinker. Likely spots are the headlight bucket or wrapped in the harness somewhere between there and the junction box. The neck gets the most movement, so is more likely to have broken insulation than the rest of the wiring.

A non-infinite value on the ohmmeter between those two wires with the ignition off should be pretty informative.

#8 · (Edited)
Good day everyone, I have a problem with my after market blinkers. When engine is off, every blinker works fine, but after the engine warms up, turn signals blink fast that it looks like a solid light. However, if I press the hazard light button, all lights blink normally. This started after I replaced stock exhaust to Vance & Hines cruzers pipes. Have any of you heard/had anything like this and where should I start looking? Thank you in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.