Blinker funk - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Blinker funk

When I bought the bike, pretty much every blinker had issues (according to previous owner) so I replace all the bulbs and fixed most problems. Now the left blinkers work fine.

The front right running light is fine, but when you activate the blinker, it barely lights up.
Additionally the right rear blinker stays on like a running light when it shouldnít. The right blinker light on the cluster also stays dimly lit.
I have checked connections at each blinker and I donít think I have any problems.
Also, right rear blinker does not seem to be tied into any other wires.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 PM

So a few things to check here, first the simple one, make sure that you have the correct bulbs because they are different from the front to the back, the front bulbs have two filaments because they’re running lights as well. Second, all the right side blinkers (front, back and dash) are run on the grey wire, that ties into the turn signal switch and could be making a poor connection or corroded. And I’m not sure what you meant by the rear signal not being tied into any other wires, there should be two, grey and black yellow.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks mmart!!
I am certain the bulbs are correct, the left side works perfectly, and Iíve swapped bulbs from side to side to to make sure.
My comment about the wires not being tied into anything else was just referring to another thread I read where someone had maybe tied into the license plate bulb for power or something.

I did do so looking as far as the loose/poor connection goes. I didnít find anything and wanted to reach out and ask to see if there were common issues like this before I unwrapped the whole bundle of wires looking for a shorted out segment or something.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:50 AM

Garage
Not a common problem. sounds like a short between wires. Before you tear the bike apart, try to narrow down where it might be happening. Move the handlebars fully in both directions and see if there is any change in the lights' behavior, which could narrow down where the short is. Put the bike's ignition in 'park'. That should cut power to the running lights in the front signals, but the hazards/blinkers should work. Could give a clue as to which wire the stray voltage is coming from.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 AM

Wiring problems could be a b-tch!, Thorn makes a real good point by trying to isolate the location.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Not a common problem. sounds like a short between wires. Before you tear the bike apart, try to narrow down where it might be happening. Move the handlebars fully in both directions and see if there is any change in the lights' behavior, which could narrow down where the short is. Put the bike's ignition in 'park'. That should cut power to the running lights in the front signals, but the hazards/blinkers should work. Could give a clue as to which wire the stray voltage is coming from.
Thanks!! I did just that and the blinkers start acting normal. So I believe this tell me I do in fact have other voltage sneaking in. Not sure if it’s from the front or rear though. Do you have any pointers on how to narrow it down any further? Once again I appreciate yalls help
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:01 AM

Garage
Sounds like you have a short between the blue wire and the gray wire at your front right blinker. Likely spots are the headlight bucket or wrapped in the harness somewhere between there and the junction box. The neck gets the most movement, so is more likely to have broken insulation than the rest of the wiring.

A non-infinite value on the ohmmeter between those two wires with the ignition off should be pretty informative.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement