MIGHT have to cut stator wires... Please advise - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
There’s the plate on the left side of the motor that you can “peek” in from, I’m not sure that has a gasket. The stator cover itself is what can’t be removed without tilting or removing the engine.
I’m not sure I’m following but why do the mod of the bikes charging system is working? I thought the issue was more cosmetic with the JB weld
ok, so the outer cover doesn't actually seal anything it's just there for protection/cosmetics? I just want to make sure. I have a suspicion that they did the Mod already, but maybe that's giving them too much credit considering the JB weld

I would do the mod because:
A)replacing the coil is inevitable on these bikes it seems, so itll make that job pretty easy when the time comes,
B) If I do decide to try to remove this JB weld, I'm probably going to mangle the current setup and have to replace it regardless lol.

No, the leak isn't bad enough that it makes running the bike an issue... but it does leave nasty little puddles in the garage or wherever it sits for 30 seconds or more. It's just not legit lol.

Honestly it makes me worried to change the oil because nice fresh oil is going to be less viscous than what's in there now for sure, and it might leak a lot worse

Last edited by Dokuji; 08-21-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM

For me personally I’d never cut the plate for the stator while on the bike. If it died again I’m getting rid of the bike probably because it’s an expensive fix and I don’t have facilities to do it myself. You can have that plate made but again it’s pricey
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Every 30 second drips that find their place on the rear tire can be disastrous.

Oil loses viscosity over time.
New oil should be more viscous, unless your current oil amounts to sludge, which wouldn't be good anyway.

How about cleaning the wound thoroughly, roughing up the old JB Weld for adhesion and then putting another layer on and around the wires, but making sure there's no contact from wire to wire.

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

^^ I was under the impression that it gains viscosity because of buildup and heat, but i guess i've been using my retard science my whole life. lol. Good thing I'm not an engineer. But then why do people tell stories of leaking with fresh oil changes and especially in the case of transmissions/etc?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpouring View Post

How about cleaning the wound thoroughly, roughing up the old JB Weld for adhesion and then putting another layer on and around the wires, but making sure there's no contact from wire to wire.
the way they globbed the stuff on there its impossible to treat the way it is. I cannot see where its leaking from or reach it properly in order to do that. which is why i think my only option would to be to shear it off with the grinder and be done with it.

Maybe ill buy a few fine edged files and spend 48 hours of my life getting sufficiently drunk and also losing my sanity grinding it away by hand. lol.

Last edited by Dokuji; 08-21-2019 at 06:09 PM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
For me personally I’d never cut the plate for the stator while on the bike. If it died again I’m getting rid of the bike probably because it’s an expensive fix and I don’t have facilities to do it myself. You can have that plate made but again it’s pricey
I thought there were a few guys who sold the plate and it wasn't too pricey?

I guess if you have a lot invested in your bike that makes sense but this is a total learner/project/chop bike for me. it runs well, but I'm not going to invest a lot of cash into doing everything OEM spec when it comes down to it. I'd rather put in the work myself as I usually do on my vehicles and save a lot of money, while also learning about the bike as I do so.

that being said, I'm not the kind of cheapass who is ok having oil leaks and thinks nothing of them. hence why I'd like to figure out how to deal with this properly.

At any rate I appreciate the help so far guys. Glad to know this forum is pretty active
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:19 PM

There's an o-ring type gasket on the outer cover, and o-rings on the three screws. They can be reused if not damaged.

The wires for the two pickup coils also pass through the grommet.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokuji View Post
Quote:
I thought there were a few guys who sold the plate and it wasn't too pricey?

I guess if you have a lot invested in your bike that makes sense but this is a total learner/project/chop bike for me. it runs well, but I'm not going to invest a lot of cash into doing everything OEM spec when it comes down to it. I'd rather put in the work myself as I usually do on my vehicles and save a lot of money, while also learning about the bike as I do so.

that being said, I'm not the kind of cheapass who is ok having oil leaks and thinks nothing of them. hence why I'd like to figure out how to deal with this properly.

At any rate I appreciate the help so far guys. Glad to know this forum is pretty active [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smiley_thumbs_up.gif[/IMG]
I get what you’re saying, if I had my choice, when the stator blew, I would’ve loved to do the mod, but again, I don’t own metal working tools, and no place to work anyway. Kawasaki was pretty f—ked up when they designed that part of the bike. The ironic part of it is the frame comes off on the other side. Big “duh” on their part. But what I was getting at when you cut the plate there will be metal shavings, I’d be concerned to get that in the engine. That TOC place will exchange your stator cover for a modded cover if you planned on having the bike apart for a while.
But back to that JB weld problem, instead of an angle grinder, what about something a little less brute force and like a dremmel? It’s more precise and probably won’t take you 48hrs lol
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
There's an o-ring type gasket on the outer cover, and o-rings on the three screws. They can be reused if not damaged.

The wires for the two pickup coils also pass through the grommet.
ok thank you. It doesnt actually seal any oil does it? the oil should be within the actual stator housing right? so i assume this outer seal is just for a bit of air pressure retainment?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
nstead of an angle grinder, what about something a little less brute force and like a dremmel? Itís more precise and probably wonít take you 48hrs lol
yeah, dremel might work too. but area around the backside of the wires is going to be quite a challenge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement