Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

2 prong aftermarket master cylinder clutch switch to 3 prong connector

5K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  OleDirtyDoc 
#1 ·
1989 Kawasaki vulcan 1500 A

My kawasaki has 3 pins for the clutch switch. I don't want to bypass it but the new master cylinder i bought has a 2 prong switch.

Is there a way I can make it work without bypassing the wires? I am using an aftermarket master cylinder and the kawasaki switch doesn't fit on it at all.

Anyone have any ideas on anything i can make or buy?

#2 ·
There's no way to make it work right. If you try to splice the wires, you're going to end up with funky behavior like the neutral light coming on any time you pull the clutch lever.
Any possibility you can just replace the switch component with a three contact switch and leave the master alone? As mentioned in the other thread, the 750 uses a different system, so this isn't the place to get a definitive answer.

#4 ·
This would be a good question to ask on a Vulcan forum that caters to all Vulcans, not just the 750, which has a cable operated clutch

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hench
#5 ·
What I meant was, can you look at the physical thing you bought (part number not provided) and see if there's a microswitch in there that is easily removable. If there is, you could look online to see if there is another microswitch by the same manufacturer with the same form factor that has both "normally open" and "normally closed" terminals. I imagine you could pick one up for a couple bucks, but you have the only information about what physical thing you have in front of you, and google will be able to tell you the rest.

#6 ·
If you want an 'outside the box' solution, its possible you could wire in a relay between your clutch switch and the harness. T the harness power to the relay, hook your switch's output to the primary coil of the relay, and the relay's "normally open" and "normally closed" outputs to the two signal wires of vn1500's harness.

#9 ·

My kawasaki has 3 pins for the clutch switch. I don't want to bypass it but the new master cylinder i bought has a 2 prong switch.

Is there a way I can make it work without bypassing the wires? I am using an aftermarket master cylinder and the kawasaki switch doesn't fit on it at all.

Hello. I am currently having the same clutch switch issue with my Kawasaki Drifter. I was wondering if you ever found a fix for the 3 to 2 prong clutch switch problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. 🤘🏽

#15 ·

I got new clutch and front brake levers and I couldn't get it figured out so I just unscrewed the switch and zip ties it to my bars it's barely noticable. I will rewire it tomorrow and let you know what I get figured out.

#16 ·

Bypass it put a wire connection between the outside plug on the switch plug in just connect both outter wires with wire connectors and the middle wire is the dead wire so connect the outter 2 and put the dead wire on the other one if it don't start switch the wires to the opposite plug and you should be square.

#20 ·
The 700 and 750 are completely interchangeable. The only difference is the displacement of the cylinder. This was to avoid a tariff designed to help HD. The tariff was listed and the second year of production started the sale of the same bikes with a larger bored cylinder.

#21 ·
I didn't know about the tariff thing. But it's not really just the displacement that's different, is it? The ignition coils would be different, too, right? What about all the other engine parts?

We're splitting hairs, though. People shouldn't be asking questions or requesting advice about bikes other than the VN750. There's different forums for that, like PseudoPhil said.

#25 ·
I obviously missed something.

The 700 is essentially the same as the 750, including the coils.

The master cylinder is round, engine is black, and that's all I can think of at the moment.

Either bike can be considered a donor for the other.

You could put the 750 cylinders and pistons on a 700, and vise versa.

#31 ·
I think Phil was referring to the old post about the brake switch on the 1500. ?

Not sure where the 700 came into the thread but the wiring diagram only shows two wires on the front brake switch.

#34 ·
Wow. A thread that went off topic without me being involved, no redheads mentioned, and no drunken debauchery. No three tittied midgets were harmed either. At least somebody got banned. I am honestly impressed. This forum is growing up.😁

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.