Bike dies when turning handle bars to the right - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:37 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
I'll be honest i skipped reading the thread because all 5 of my VN’s have done this and 100% of the time it’s been the ignition switch. If you think you’ve found the issue elsewhere, you may have found the OTHER issue..... but i guarantee you’ll find out your ignition switch is going bad eventually when another problem arises in the future.

When the bars turn the switch plates push away from each other (they are sandwiched) when the wires push or pull.
ubertalldude likes this.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

And shooting something like wd-40 in the lockset will fix this?

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750 with the following work done to it, after sitting for 19 years:
John 8:44
REV 2:9
REV 3:9
www.voat.co
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:56 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Yes, usually if the bike dies turning the bars to the right, there's either a bad wire in the harness where it bends around the steering neck, or there's an exposed wire in the headlight thats grounding out on the headlight shell (its plastic, but metal coated) or there's a bad wire in the ignition switch.
Rebuilding the switch and checking the welds, along with checking and isolating the wires by wrapping them in plastic wrap usually cures the issue.
Rarely is it a broken wire in the harness.

Spraying the switch with WD40 can help with stuck or dirty contacts, but this would be problem that bar position shouldn't impact.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Well the damned thing died yesterday, after running well around town. The tank is about empty, so I will be pulling it again once I get done mowing. I will check the neck. I will use this time to replace the radiator hoses on the top (the one is leaking where it enters the rear cylinder at the top), and see if I canít figure out what is wrong with the gas gauge now. There just seems to be a ton of what I am assuming (hoping) are electrical issues. Also, I think someone put oil in the coolant reservoir. When I flushed the coolant, a ton of old oil sludge came out and the rear cylinder wouldnít flush. Running it now, thereís a little bit of oil in the reservoir floating on top, but the temp stays steady in the middle. I am hoping the heat has loosened everything up. It sat for 19 years and never moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'08 Road King Classic
www.voat.co
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: After much tugging and turning the handlebar, I believe that it is in the big wire bundle going into the headlight. My front turn signals stems were broken, so I cut off the old ones. I checked the bundle the first time I was in there before discovering that is where the problem lies, and it looked fine. I will dig into it more tomorrow. The fuel gauge works, but the float is bad. So that problem is solved. Now to flush the coolant and see if the oil returns again. It was much less oil than when I drained it after sitting for 19 years, so I am hoping this is just residual oil that was stuck in the reservoir/lines. Do you think the lines will should be replaced? I pulled that metal tube off of the rear cylinder where it leaks, and I was surprised by there only being a small gasket.

'08 Road King Classic
www.voat.co
Sponsored Links
Advertisement