Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Tail light circuit

Evening everyone! Having trouble with my 86 Vulcan...I have a drain somewhere. Removed fuses and found it was the tail light. Leaving the fuse out stops the battery drain. I disconnected the rear light, put the fuse back in and there's still a drain. I'm assuming this means it's not the light. Can ride around perfectly with the fuse removed until it's dark. Noticed the speedometer light is also knocked out so is obviously connected on the same circuit. Any ideas what else I should be looking at to trace the drain? Now would be a good time to add the previous owner removed everything other than Speedo, and lights. (Head, tail & indicators)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to add a thank you for any help you masters of the gremlins can throw my way 🍻
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:07 PM
NewB to Vulcans

Does the tail light still work correctly?

'99 Vulcan "Victoria"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
Does the tail light still work correctly?
It does indeed. As far as I can tell all cables and connections from the the light are as they should be
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:50 PM

Running lights on the front turn signals, dash lights, license plate light?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

No dash lights, they're all missing. The pin connectors are clean and wrapped in the back of the headlight. Turn signals are good... Headlights good. I have an aftermarket brake/tail light that has the license plate light included. Connecting the original light still produces a drain so it's a case of knowing what else is on the same circuit as the tail light...I can't make it out from the wiring diagram. With the fuse in there's a draw between the battery and the live cable of 0.64v. Taking the fuse out drops this to 0.10v.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:15 PM

Those lights I mentioned should be in the same circuit as the tail light. So I was thinking to start removing bulbs until the draw goes away.

Not the actual turn signals, but the running lamps combined with the turn signals up front. The rear signals don't have running lamps, in stock form.

The license plate is lit by a clear lens in the tail light, or has it's own bulb?

Quote:
Connecting the original light still produces a drain
Which original light?

If it's not the light itself, must be the wiring leading to it. And of course there's always that crazy junction box.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 06-08-2019 at 07:18 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Running lamps? Would that be when the turn signals are on constantly and blink off when you turn? If so...I'm in England. Mines an American import so the constant lights were disconnected due to some law. (English folk get confused apparently by a constant orange light.) There's two blue cables cut off doing absolutely nothing...according to the manual they would be the constant feed?

Brake and tail have their own bulbs, and the license plate is lit from a clear lense underneath the bulbs (classy) The previous owner had the decency to still have the original brake/tail light in a box which I hooked up to check.

Yes having read nearly every thread the junction box pops up quite a lot! Hopefully that's worse case scenario! I'm thinking maybe the constant running lamp cables need attention and tracking down the license plate cable?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:26 PM

Garage
Yeah, the cut blue wires would be for the running lights in the front turn signals.

Which actual fuse did you pull? The "tail light" fuse in a stock bike is not hooked up to anything, but since there's been some tomfoolery with the wiring, things might be completely different. If things are still SORT of stock, I would guess that you pulled the headlight fuse to get the tail lights and speedometer to go dark (also killing the headlight)?

If you put the ignition in 'park' instead of 'on', does the drain go away? 'park' isolates the tail light circuit from the front lamps (dash and headlight).

Most likely culprit for the current draw would be a faulty headlight relay in the junction box. If 'park' eliminates the draw, try doing the "blue wire mod".
Spockster likes this.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Ha! Tomfoolery is a polite way of putting it Thorn!! Pulling the tail light fuse doesnt kill the headlight, that has its own fuse. Brake light still works as well as that is on a separate circuit.
Haven't quite managed to get the 'park' to work. You have to jiggle the key all over the place to engage the steering lock whilst wiggling the handlebars...will test your theory in a bit to see if park helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement