Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Kickstand Switch

Hey I have a 85 VN750 and I can't seem to get the kick stand switch to stop the bike from starting when it is down, as it is needed for the safety. I have a brand new kick stand switch and a brand new junction box, I'm no sure where I should be looking next. Any ideas what it might be? Im pretty good at electronics and circuits but this doesn't make much sense to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Have you checked out the switch at the clutch lever? That switch can stick, or just fail.

If it's had anything like the Two-Wire mod, part of the interlock will be disabled.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

+1 spockster

kickstand switch will shut off ignition if the bike is in gear, and clutch released with the kickstand down. it does not prevent the bike from starting

so, in neutral kickstand switch does nothing.
also if clutch lever pulled, switch does nothing.
if both of the above are false (in gear, clutch released) it kills the ignition with the kickstand extended

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

Last edited by michiganteddybear; 05-23-2019 at 09:30 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

How would I test if the switch works then?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
Use a volt meter set to measure resistance. Look for continuity across the switch wires as you raise/lower the kickstand and squeeze/release the clutch lever.
Spockster likes this.

1986 VN750 27k miles
1999 EN500 32k
1983 GL650i in pieces. Someday it will ride again.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBVN750 View Post
How would I test if the switch works then?
Start the bike, put the kickstand down, pull the clutch, put it in gear, attempt to pull away as if the kickstand was not down. If the engine dies, the switch is working correctly with the kickstand down.

Repeat this test, but with the kickstand up. If the engine does not die, the switch is working correctly with the kickstand up.
ROBVN750 likes this.

'89 Vulcan 750 Bought 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800
Purchased stock. Wrecked once
22490.0+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB
110/90 Front Tire
Pick-up coil re-gapped to .020"
Compufire 55402 r/r series regulator
USB Outlet + Voltmeter
Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages
Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG
MCCT conversion

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals
Windshield
Highway Pegs
(Possible) ignition advance
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:25 PM

Garage
Yeah, the kickstand doesn't prevent the bike from starting, just stops you from driving away.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You actually WANT that switch? I started riding long before such things existed, and I have removed the kickstand switch and the clutch cut out switch from every bike I've ever owned that had them. When I first started riding, I taped a list of things to my gas tank, and "put sidestand up" was on the list. It didn't take that long till I was doing everything on that list automatically.

I discovered that when you have things you really don't need, and have lived just fine for decades without, you start to depend on them, and begin to lose your ability to get by without them. My first new bike (a 1980 Suzuki GS450L) had a gear indicator. When I traded it for a bigger bike, it did not have that feature, and it took me a while to learn how to ride it properly. I got a Garmin Nuvi GPS for my car. Now, I know my way around my local area just fine. But this thing made it easy to find places I didn't know the exact location of. I could be driving down the street, and want to find a McDonalds. All I had to do was ask it to find one for me, and it would give me a list of the nearby ones. I began to depend on it for things I never needed it for before. I now have 2 cars with electric mirrors. I now find it much more difficult to drive my older cars with non electric mirrors, though I never needed them before. IMO, safety devices and convenience devices tend to lower the skill level of whoever uses them. I think this is the reason is why drivers are so much worse than they used to be, and you are more likely to get run over by them. Driving used to require skill, now the cars does a lot of things that drivers used to have to do themselves. We are becoming too dependent on "devices" to do things for us instead of doing it for ourselves. How long will it be before we can't do anything for ourselves?

Yes this is a rant, and it is strictly my opinion. I see you are a new member, and this was probably not the best way to greet you, and for that I apologize. Welcome aboard, and enjoy your Vulcan. I would carry an extra switch with you. Because of their location they are exposed to water and dirt, and are very prone to failure. And that can leave you stranded.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Yep worked perfect! Thank you!

I don't care if the switch worked or not but it was mandatory for the safety so I kind of needed it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

I take it that your location requires safety checks... so glad my state does not.. However, that is a double edged sword, I often see stuff on the road that shouldnt be..

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement