Visible battery drain... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Visible battery drain...

First ever post...will describe the symptoms and hope one of you has the slightest clue...
Fairly confident the charging system is all good having read through the endless threads on the matter. Have replaced reg/rec with standard replacement...battery now shows full charging when higher rev levels applied.
HOWEVER... With ignition on and engine off the tail light drains the battery at a fairly quick rate. It's a slightly slower rate with engine on. Removing the tail light fuse (which also kills the Speedo light) prevents this and the bike is perfectly ridable with no issues. (Except of course at night time) Holding the brake for prolonged periods also causes visible battery drain with the multimeter. I haven't had chance to test whether the headlight causes drain, (a delicate flick of the starter button turns the light on but keeps the engine off) so will try that tomorrow after work.
Would I be correct in assuming it's a dud battery that's incapable of holding load as it has now been discharged completely more times than I'd care to remember...

Thank you in advance and apologies for the overly long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

ANY load on the battery will show up on a meter as a voltage drop. Even a tail light. Are you showing anything with the ignition and all lights off? If not you probably don't have a parasitic drain. The only way to test the battery is to fully charge it, then do a load test on it. If it has been dead several times it will not have the capacity of a new battery. Are you sure you're putting the switch in the OFF position and not the PARK position when you shut off the engine?

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
ANY load on the battery will show up on a meter as a voltage drop. Even a tail light. Are you showing anything with the ignition and all lights off? If not you probably don't have a parasitic drain. The only way to test the battery is to fully charge it, then do a load test on it. If it has been dead several times it will not have the capacity of a new battery. Are you sure you're putting the switch in the OFF position and not the PARK position when you shut off the engine?
Hmmm...I only get two clicks on the key, On and off. In the off position there's no drain even with the bike warmed up. She's an 86, who's previous owner removed everything but the speedometer so I've traced all cables and checked/cleaned them and blanked what's not in use...which being colourblind i might add isn't as fun as it should be. The manual shows blue cables but they're blatantly purple 😂

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If there is no drain with the ignition switch off, then whatever the problem is it is not the bikes electrical system. There will always be a drain on the battery with the ignition switch on. I would get the battery checked.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
If there is no drain with the ignition switch off, then whatever the problem is it is not the bikes electrical system. There will always be a drain on the battery with the ignition switch on. I would get the battery checked.
Figured as much, thought a more educated opinion was best before I started blaming the battery 👍🏻
Cheers for the advice chief, take it steady 🍻
Sponsored Links
Advertisement