Is headlight part of starter safety circuit?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

2Likes
  • 1 Post By kryptonianjorel
  • 1 Post By michiganteddybear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Question Is headlight part of starter safety circuit??

2002 VN750, Phoenix Arizona

Here's the quick story: Had a minor crash last night, dropped the bike and hit the car that cut me off. Broke the headlight, footpeg, bent brake pedal etc.

When I picked the bike up and took it to the sidewalk, I turned the key on and all dash lights and running lights work fine, but the start button was un-responsive- not a click, buzz, whine or anything. I'm wondering if the headlight was part of the computers' safety checklist (like being in Neutral, clutch in, etc) before the starter will turn, and now with the light busted, it fails the check and wont power the starter??

I'm relatively fine, as is the bike, just wondering where to start once the new parts arrive. Sad, cause after spending the summer getting it ready to ride again, it was just starting to run near top shape for a 17 y/o ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:53 AM

Nope. Sounds like a loose wire somewhere though
OleDirtyDoc likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

yea, loose/broken wire/broken safety switch. 1st one that comes to mind is the switch on the clutch lever. its out there exposed to world
OleDirtyDoc likes this.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpo1013 View Post
2002 VN750, Phoenix Arizona

Here's the quick story: Had a minor crash last night, dropped the bike and hit the car that cut me off. Broke the headlight, footpeg, bent brake pedal etc.

When I picked the bike up and took it to the sidewalk, I turned the key on and all dash lights and running lights work fine, but the start button was un-responsive- not a click, buzz, whine or anything. I'm wondering if the headlight was part of the computers' safety checklist (like being in Neutral, clutch in, etc) before the starter will turn, and now with the light busted, it fails the check and wont power the starter??

I'm relatively fine, as is the bike, just wondering where to start once the new parts arrive. Sad, cause after spending the summer getting it ready to ride again, it was just starting to run near top shape for a 17 y/o ride
have you modded anything? like the 2-wire mod? The start button is a notorious problem, and it sounds like you hit on the right side of your bike. That being said, the junction box is another problem, and the 2-wire mod bypasses a lot of other problems too. start simple, like the connectors on the "safety checklist" and go from there. there are plenty of people on here to help you out though, so feel free to ask.

my go-to for the 2-wire mod:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-elect...-wire-mod.html

1995 VN750
Ear Shave Mod
2-Wire Mod
Blue Wire Mod
RLU Bypass
SH847 R/R
Degoat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement