final update to electrical charging problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

final update to electrical charging problem

Hi All,

I have finished cleaning all the connectors on the bike. I went back and re soldered the stator connections. I have removed as many bullet connectors as possible and soldered the wiring back together. This morning I did a few tests and need them checked and verified by you. Your information has been invaluable. So here it is...

Cold test
resistance between legs
a1 to a2 .6 ohms
a1 to a3 .6 ohms
a2 to a3 .6 ohms

ground test
a1 to ground .4 ohms with different meter 0 with tone
a2 to ground .5 ohms with different meter 0 with tone
a3 to ground .4 ohms with different meter 0 with tone

Running ac test
a1 to a2 58 vac
a1 to a3 58 vac
a2 to a3 58 vac

Hot test
resistance between legs
a1 to a2 .7 ohms
a1 to a3 .7 ohms
a2 to a3 .7 ohms

ground test
a1 to ground 0 with tone
a2 to ground 0 with tone
a3 to ground 0 with tone

vac test
a1 to a2 52 vac
a1 to a3 52 vac
a2 to a3 54 vac

Thanks for all the help guys. I couldn't have made any progress without your input.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:47 PM

Garage
Shouldn't the legs of the stator be infinite resistance to ground?

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeech View Post

ground test
a1 to ground .4 ohms with different meter 0 with tone
a2 to ground .5 ohms with different meter 0 with tone
a3 to ground .4 ohms with different meter 0 with tone

ground test
a1 to ground 0 with tone
a2 to ground 0 with tone
a3 to ground 0 with tone

Dave
The first test says it's toast (cold).
The second test says it's toast (hot)

A tone on my meter indicates continuity, a connection.

__________________________________________________ ______

Any meter reading less than infinity, will indicate a connection to ground. Example .3849002 indicates a connection bearing that many ohms (shorted to ground). If your meter doesn't use the infinity symbol, you may see OL (open line), which will mean there's no connection to ground (good).

Below is from the manual, except I changed the word alternator to stator. Don't know why they have two tests listed, "installation" and "insulation". They're both the same test except the range settings. There should be no connection between ground and the stator coils (leads).

Quote:
Stator Coil Installation Test

1. Disconnect stator leads.

2. Using the highest range of the tester, measure the resistance between each yellow lead and chassis ground.

*Any meter reading less than inifinty () indicates a short, necessitating stator replacement.

Stator Coil Insulation Test

Meter range: 1 x kΩ

Connection: Stator leads (disconnected)
.. One meter lead - One yellow stator lead
.. Other meter lead - Chassis ground

Reading: No reading (∞Ω)
∞Ω (infinite ohms)

__________________________________________________ ______________________

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 11-05-2018 at 05:49 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 05:47 PM

From google: For the purposes of most electronic circuits, you can assume that the resistance value of ordinary wire is zero ohms (0 Ω)

Zero ohms is less than infinty. Which means you have a great connection to ground, and that's bad in this case.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:10 PM

I wonder about this, too, but if he was shorting to ground, how is he still getting such good voltage leg-to-leg?

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:29 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
I wonder about this, too, but if he was shorting to ground, how is he still getting such good voltage leg-to-leg?
I also wondered how it's getting such good DC volts at the R/R. Makes no sense.

2003-21k mi

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

This is the last post on the beginning thread. Hope it makes some sense. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.

Hi All, Here is the latest update. I have had my gel battery stress tested and it passed. Next I removed the bullet connectors from the stator and soldered the joints. I went to the other side of the bike and removed the white/red wire bullet connector and soldered that joint. Did a test this morning and at 3000 rpm cold to warm got 13.14 to 13.2 vdc across the battery. When the bike kicked the fan on, the voltage dropped to 12.6 to 12.8 vdc. I revved the engine and the vdc out of the r/r increased but I could only get high 13's. even after the time at the lower voltage, the battery measured 13.18 vdc across the battery when shut off. Thanks again for all your help
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 06:02 AM

Garage
for future reference, this is the thread outlining the initial problem: https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/103235-charging-system-problems-newbie.html

I would suspect that you've got an intermittent short in the stator. The measurements you're posting don't really make sense, like others have mentioned. Good AC voltages, but with paths to ground on the stator legs. It's possible that the AC measurements taken with a multimiter are able to ignore a fair amount of grounded current when determining the AC voltage (reading more of a choppy square wave than a sine wave, but is only checking general peak values, ignoring an inconsistent hertz clock). You're probably not getting the full DC voltage that you should, and if there is an intermittent ground, you're probably generating heat at that contact point, weakening the insulation further, and it's going to blow out the winding eventually. But that's all just a guess.

Do you know someone with an oscilloscope? That would be waaaay more informative about what is actually going on when the bike is running.

Still, you seem to be able to charge your battery with moderate rpms, so ... ride it until it craps out and then replace the stator when you really know it's bad?

If you disconnected the battery from the bike with a solid stator, the bike would continue to run.
If you disconnect it on yours, I suspect the engine would at some point sputter and die. It's might be worth doing just to see.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys. I am just going to proceed with the tuxedo mod if my mechanic will do it. I will be needing to purchase the mod kit if it's still available. I would have responded sooner but been sick and away from the computer.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeech View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. I am just going to proceed with the tuxedo mod if my mechanic will do it. I will be needing to purchase the mod kit if it's still available. I would have responded sooner but been sick and away from the computer.
Do you have the space to do the tux mod? If you do, it is really easy and a great way to learn more about the bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement