Removing wires from connectors - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Removing wires from connectors

With all the electrical mods that we have, we talk a lot about pulling wires from this or that connector, but I haven't seen any instruction on HOW we're supposed to pull these wires out.

I did the two-wire mod last night and ended up cutting the two wires, which happens to also be what the guy in the video did. But now I'm doing the blue wire headlight mod, and I don't want to do that. I've been trying to get the wire out, and nothing I'm doing is working. I have a tiny little flathead screwdriver, which should be an okay tool for it. But it would help me to have a sense of how the mechanism that holds the wire in is designed to work.

Obviously these plugs are designed to keep the wires in, and they do a good job of that. But sometimes you do want them to come out. Maybe this is something everybody else already knows, but I can't seem to get it.

Worst case scenario, I bought a kit last night that had some of these connectors in it, so I'll cut the blue wire if I have to ann then figure out a way to get that metal connector on it and get it plugged into the right hole. But there's very little slack in these wires, so I'm trying to avoid that.

I've been Googling, watching YouTube videos, and so forth. But I haven't yet seen anything that explains it in a way that I can get my head around how to get it out, other than by just using brute force, and thereby damaging the connector or the wire.

Last edited by readparse; 08-10-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Many different connectors out there. Generally there is a tab you can push in to pull out the wire. See here:

There are other videos available online.
Another:

Google and YouTube is your freind.... Not sure what ones you "couldn't get your head around"

Now many times the wire is soldered and crimped in the pin, so if that's what you're attempting, you likely won't get one off cleanly.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 08-10-2018 at 04:26 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well yeah, I would have googled this before posting this thread. Despite the fact that I post here quite a bit, I'm pretty independent, and would much rather find my own answer than ask, when possible. But at the same time, this community is a real benefit, so I use it when it makes sense. I do try to be judicious in that decision. Another reason I sometimes post questions is because I wasn't able to find the answer on this forum, and I feel like the question that I post might be useful to others.

At the moment, I meant specifically the junction box connectors, since that's where I'm doing these mods. I wish I knew what kind of connector this is specifically, because that would give me more google fodder and enable me to ask more specific questions.

I did watch some videos on the subject, including one of the ones you posted. The british guy. That's a pretty good video, and that's the very connector I'm trying to get my head around.

I also found a nice video that was, strangely, targeted at motorcycle audiences:

I think that's a good video, and I'm currently tearing up certain drawers of my house, looking for a dang paperclip, because he does make that look easy. I also have a tiny screwdriver, but not tiny enough. I have some even smaller screwdriver bits for a mini screwdriver, but those bits go into a receiver that is too big to do any good for this application.

So... it's tricky. I figured the answer might be obvious to old timers here, but this may be part of that territory that I'm already supposed to know. I will keep fiddling and I'll post what I end up using and how I "got my head around it," in case somebody else has the same problem.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:47 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well, I've never pulled wires out of the junction box, but I'm sure there's some here that have... that will eventually tell you an "oh why didn't I see that" way to do it....likely right after you've gone ahead and torn them out yourself

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:23 PM

Believe it or not,you can get a set of picks made just for this purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180810_181747.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	45053  
readparse likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Well, I've never pulled wires out of the junction box, but I'm sure there's some here that have... that will eventually tell you an "oh why didn't I see that" way to do it....likely right after you've gone ahead and torn them out yourself
Yeah, I'm actually a little proud of myself that I haven't done that already. I've shown remarkable restraint. I have a few other things going on today, but every time I get a chance, I get my confidence back up and head to the garage to give it a try with another doo-dad.

Turns out all the paperclips in the house have gotten word of this mission, so they're all in hiding until it blows over. I don't blame them, because this doesn't end well for the paperclip. I assume I'll be tripping over them next week when I'm looking for a roll of paper towels.

I actually went to the grocery story to buy some paperclips. While there, I found a nice, narrow set of precision screwdrivers, which should give me the reach and the tight fit that I need. But I still don't seem to be flipping the right thing in the right direction. So I continue to just look at it like a dope for a while, and then eventually give up and come in the house and do something else.

I can't ride until the headlight is working, though, so eventually I will definitely run out of patience and cut the wire.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well if you're doing the headlight mod, you don't want to cut the wire as you need the pin to move it to the empty spot.
Is this what you are trying to do?
https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-elect...relay-mod.html

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:28 PM

It's a small lock tab, I may have used a sewing needle, go in from the front (wires in the back). Push the lock, pull the wire. It's hard to see.

Edit: Once the tab is pressed down, the wire slips right out with no effort. Maybe push the wire inward, then try the lock. They can get pulled tighter just unplugging from the JB.

Probably smaller than the far left one ....

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 08-10-2018 at 07:31 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Well if you're doing the headlight mod, you don't want to cut the wire as you need the pin to move it to the empty spot.
Yeah, exactly. That's why I didn't want to cut it, because I knew that I would then have to crimp the wire into a spade connector of the right size and hope it worked from there. And I came really close to doing that, actually. I had the wire cutter on the blue wire (like that scene in The Abyss).

But then I became worried about my ability to pull that off. And I became more confident in my ability to splice up yesterday's work on the two-wire mod. I assume there's a really good reason why I should do both mods, but for now, I reversed my two-wire mod and now I have neither. The headlight works again, the bike starts up, and I took my first ride in three days (I'm used to riding pretty much every day, so that was a real dry spell).

Thanks for pointing it out, though.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's a nice assortment of spades, Spockster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement