Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Iridium Plugs?

Hi All.

Just bought new plugs for the old girl. I was thinking to get Iridium's but they are over 3x the price. so I bought standard. Are Iridium really worth the extra cost?

Thanks.

Getting old, but not too old to ride a VN750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 12:29 PM

Not necessary, but a good idea. No sense in getting them now since you just bought copper plugs, but if yours runs and starts fine, you're fine with coppers

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) – NGK Iridiums – MCCT Conversion – Slipstreamer S03 Windshield – Custom Extended Backrest – Custom Highway Bars – MOSFET R/R – LED Underglow – Volt+USB In-Dash – Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod – Satin Black Engine Paint – Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:41 PM

They are ABSOLUTELY worth the extra cost! Consider this, 70% of internal engine wear comes from cold starting the engine. Every millisecond you can shave off the cold start time helps save wear. Iridium plugs offer faster start time and there is a noticeable refinement in the engine's idle and throttle response. It's the last spark plug you will buy as they are good for 80-100k. Used in conjunction with a good flowing synthetic oil and a quality oil filter with a anti drain back valve it greatly minimizes engine wear.

1993 Vulcan 750 "T'Pol"

Cobra Full Exhaust (Single Sided)
M/F AGM Battery
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shinko 777 Tires
Sunpie 7" LED Projector Headlight / KZ750-B 76-79 Bucket & Trim
Full LED Bulb Conversion
Mustang Wide Regal Seat
Aftermarket Grips & Mirror's
Full Chrome Tach / Speedometer
Mobil 1 75-90 Synthetic Gear Oil
Rotella T6 / Bosch 3323 Filter

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Are Iridium really worth the extra cost?

Yes. If you have the money. Ditto in buying an AGM battery over a standard set cell. Or buying a real armored motorcycle jacket over a denim one, a full face over a half helmet or boots over flip flops.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 02:08 PM

Garage
On this subject, I had a little trouble starting the bike this morning. First time since putting in the new AGM battery about a month ago.

I assumed there would be a voltage problem, but there was not. I eventually cranked ‘er up and went on my morning ride, but so felt a little wary about shutting it off at any time during the ride.

In fact. I recorded a little video of it (below). I’m not sure where to go next. Iridium plugs? Or am I missing something else?

This might be a one-time thing, a fluke. But I certainly have been enjoying the reliability lately.

https://youtu.be/4p96CB1WQqE

1986 Vulcan 750
Purchased June 2018, as a first bike.
Put 1,300 miles on it so far.

AGM Battery, Iridium Plugs
SeaFoam does wonders, and I'm protected by Ride-On
Back tire: Dunlop Challenger.
Front tire: Dunlop Challenger, but about to replace it with a Kenda Cruiser.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:10 PM

I put some in mine this season. Boy does it make a difference in starting. My bike has always been a butthole to start, but with these new plugs, just a tiny bit of throttle when starting and it catches immediately
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 PM

Garage
Yeah, I'm going to pick some up at Advance Auto Parts this evening and put them in. They're expensive, but only relative to standard plugs, which are insanely cheap. My main hesitation on dealing with the plugs has been that there's quite a bit of rust in the right rear socket. It was that way when I got the bike. The other three are clean, but I've been applying the "if it ain't broke" principle on that rust-filled one.

I know what I need to do, though: PB Blaster, let it sit, and then carefully remove the plug. Hopefully I can sop out a decent amount of grime from the socket, and then put all four new iridium plugs in.

Still, I'm curious if anybody has any thoughts on the sound my bike was making as I was trying to start it. But it sounds like, regardless, I'll see some benefit from the iridium plugs (though I haven't investigated the plugs that my bike currently has, so I guess I should check that out first).
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readparse View Post
Yeah, I'm going to pick some up at Advance Auto Parts this evening and put them in. They're expensive, but only relative to standard plugs, which are insanely cheap. My main hesitation on dealing with the plugs has been that there's quite a bit of rust in the right rear socket. It was that way when I got the bike. The other three are clean, but I've been applying the "if it ain't broke" principle on that rust-filled one.

I know what I need to do, though: PB Blaster, let it sit, and then carefully remove the plug. Hopefully I can sop out a decent amount of grime from the socket, and then put all four new iridium plugs in.

Still, I'm curious if anybody has any thoughts on the sound my bike was making as I was trying to start it. But it sounds like, regardless, I'll see some benefit from the iridium plugs (though I haven't investigated the plugs that my bike currently has, so I guess I should check that out first).
The little *blup* sound at 34 seconds? That was just a cylinder firing once.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
The little *blup* sound at 34 seconds? That was just a cylinder firing once.
So it sounds like you didn't hear anything weird. Just an engine that wasn't turning over. This is exactly how it acted before I put the AGM battery in (well, after I had already started it up, and was at a gas station or whatever. But never when I first started, because I kept it on a trickle charger at home. Since upgrading to the AGM, I have stopped using the trickle charger, because I always return home with the full 13+ volts).

So my next step will be the iridium spark plugs. I have since read that "the smaller the diameter of the center electrode, the lower the voltage needed to start the spark," so anything that uses less voltage sounds like a good plan.

I've also been putting off the full-bike voltage check, as laid out by denny6006, so I need to go through that soon also.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:07 PM

Yup, I went Iridium plugs. No worry about cold, hot, warm starts. Is $40 not worth it to not be stranded in the middle of nowhere?

2000 VN750
Digital voltmeter
Lubed spline (5k)
New tires (5k)
Pick up coils to .20mm
K&N air&oil filters
Relocate R&R
2 wire mod
Iridium plugs (7.2k)
Change oil and filter (8.6k)
Removal of the CA emissions (7.3k)
Cap Reed valves off the engine (7.3k)
Redesign stock seat (8k)
Change Engine Ice (8k)
Install KLR650 bars (8.3k)
Change final drive oil (8.3k)
Install power source & phone mount (8.5k)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement