1985 Vulcan 700 Blinker/Fuse problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

1985 Vulcan 700 Blinker/Fuse problem

New to the forum, I’ll try to be as detailed as I can. So I have a 1985 Vulcan 700 I just got up and running recently. The finishing touches were front and rear signals. I installed the rear first since there was not any on there at all. Simple, two wires to two wires. Got them on but they would only blink when they felt like it. They would just light up when I activated the blinker, but while riding a few times they would actually blink. My mind, not great but I can deal. So time for the front ones which are three wires and the turn signals i have are only two wires. So I hook them up black to one wire and then b/w and red to the other. Did this started up the bike and the lights just surged. They were on but lightly pulsating. Also did not respond to the turn signal switch. So re wired them to black with b/w to one wire and red to the other. Started up the bike and they did the same exact thing as my rear signals. Light up when engaged but not blink. Again in my mind, that’s fine I guess. So I get on the bike to go for a ride, bike dies a half mile down the road. Thought it was a fuel issue so looked it over then tried starting it, gave me some trouble but started. Got another half mile same thing but would not start. Still clicking just no crank. I check the fuse box and I see the fuse for the tail light is broke. Replaced it started cranking then just nothing. Not even the neutral light when i turn the key. Took it home charged the battery and put the old signals back on the front the way they were but still not even the neutral light. This is where i am stuck. All other fuses are fine I just can’t figure this out. I despise wiring probably due to my lack of knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:03 PM

A quick glance at the diagram... Looks like you may have the wrong wires.

Black with yellow stripe is the ground everywhere on this bike. Then the other two colors on the front signals are Blue and Green. So, Bl/Y - L - Gr

L = Blue on the color diagram. See if this link works: https://www.vn750.com/photopost/data...ingcolored.jpg

Rear signals use the Bl/Y and then Dark Green on the left, Green on the right.

Some more quick looks ... Red is used on the ign. coils and the Ignitor box or CDi. It's also routed through the kill switch and the start button.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 07-11-2018 at 12:10 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
A quick glance at the diagram... Looks like you may have the wrong wires.

Black with yellow stripe is the ground everywhere on this bike. Then the other two colors on the front signals are Blue and Green. So, Bl/Y - L - Gr

L = Blue on the color diagram. See if this link works: https://www.vn750.com/photopost/data...ingcolored.jpg

Rear signals use the Bl/Y and then Dark Green on the left, Green on the right.

Some more quick looks ... Red is used on the ign. coils and the Ignitor box or CDi. It's also routed through the kill switch and the start button.
I looked it all over and checked my connections with the schematics. All is lined up and hooked up properly but I’m still not getting anything when I turn the key. Is there a weird fuse somewhere i’m missing?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvr View Post
I looked it all over and checked my connections with the schematics. All is lined up and hooked up properly but Iím still not getting anything when I turn the key. Is there a weird fuse somewhere iím missing?
No, all the fuses are in the box.

Might be a dirty ignition switch.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvr View Post
I looked it all over and checked my connections with the schematics. All is lined up and hooked up properly but I’m still not getting anything when I turn the key. Is there a weird fuse somewhere i’m missing?
No, all the fuses are in the box.

Might be a dirty ignition switch.
Update. Just got home from work like I said followed the schematics everything is hooked up right. Decided to pull all the fuses clean them up a bit and put them back. That did the trick. Have lights and the bike is up and running. So now my next question is in what way can I wire the old 3 wires to a pair of turn signals which only has two wires. I know there is most likely a thread out there but I’m new and am having a little difficulty finding one. Thank you though I truly appreciate your help and responses.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

the 3rd wire on the oem lights is for running lights.. I would just run the 2 for turn signals, unless johnny law requires front running lights. if thats the case, you can find 3 wire assemblies

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement