??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

???

Took my 2001 Vulcan out for a ride. Parked it like I always do and went out the next day to ride and it wouldn’t start. Noticed when I was trying to start it that the wires were smoking from up front right behind the front tire. Any idea what that could be or what caused it? It turns over but wouldn’t start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:34 AM

Garage
Sounds like you've got a short to ground in your starter circuit wiring. Look for any wires around the neck that might be rubbing when you turn the handlebars back and forth. Might take a while for the insulation to wear away, but you know it when it does!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 02:20 AM

Chiefbluebird

Same thing happened to me today.. I saw smoke coming up from the cable connected to my starter motor. Did you ever figure out the problem?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesoffun View Post
Same thing happened to me today.. I saw smoke coming up from the cable connected to my starter motor. Did you ever figure out the problem?
Make sure the cable is tight at the starter, otherwise it could be the starter drawing too many amps. It could also overheat if you were cranking it longer than normal.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 03:41 PM

Bad starter motor?

So if the starter is drawing too much power should I replace it? I can look at it and tell it's really old. I've also been having issues starting the bike up any time I go somewhere and park it. Are you saying the bike can over heat or the starter can overheat?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:12 PM

That's the hot start issues that are common with these bikes that your talking about. I use to have this problem as well. Go for a long ride stop for gas and try to start and nothing. Would have to wait for the bike to cool down. Do the pick up cool mod. I set mine the width of 2 razor blades I believe that is .020 if I remember correctly.

2000 VN750
Digital voltmeter
Lubed spline (5k)
New tires (5k)
Pick up coils to .20mm
K&N air&oil filters
Relocate R&R
2 wire mod
Iridium plugs (7.2k)
Change oil and filter (8.6k)
Removal of the CA emissions (7.3k)
Cap Reed valves off the engine (7.3k)
Redesign stock seat (8k)
Change Engine Ice (8k)
Install KLR650 bars (8.3k)
Change final drive oil (8.3k)
Install power source & phone mount (8.5k)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
So if the starter is drawing too much power should I replace it? I can look at it and tell it's really old. I've also been having issues starting the bike up any time I go somewhere and park it. Are you saying the bike can over heat or the starter can overheat?
Should check some things first, but yes, a bad starter should be replaced or rebuilt if possible. Sometimes the armature is too worn for a rebuild.

AGM type or wet cell battery, it makes a difference on this bike.

What is the battery voltage at rest, and during cranking? Low volts during cranking will cause hard starts.

Would need an amp draw test on the starter to know for sure.

If the starter is worn, it can make more heat due to drawing more amps, the battery cable and the battery itself can also get hot to the point of permanent failure. The engine won't overheat.

In the starter, bushings, bearings, brushes, and the armature can all wear and cause high amp draw, lack of cranking power, or no crank at all.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob112o View Post
That's the hot start issues that are common with these bikes that your talking about. I use to have this problem as well. Go for a long ride stop for gas and try to start and nothing. Would have to wait for the bike to cool down. Do the pick up cool mod. I set mine the width of 2 razor blades I believe that is .020 if I remember correctly.
Okay.. that was one of my suspicions. This summer has been brutal in NC. I went to test it again today and could just tell the starter was bad. I removed the starter but little did I know you're supposed to drain the oil before you remove it. So that was a mess and in a public parking lot haha oh well. Anyways I ordered a NEW starter motor and am just waiting for it to come.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Quote:
Should check some things first, but yes, a bad starter should be replaced or rebuilt if possible. Sometimes the armature is too worn for a rebuild.

AGM type or wet cell battery, it makes a difference on this bike.

What is the battery voltage at rest, and during cranking? Low volts during cranking will cause hard starts.

Would need an amp draw test on the starter to know for sure.

If the starter is worn, it can make more heat due to drawing more amps, the battery cable and the battery itself can also get hot to the point of permanent failure. The engine won't overheat.

In the starter, bushings, bearings, brushes, and the armature can all wear and cause high amp draw, lack of cranking power, or no crank at all.
Thank you for the advice! I did all my voltage readings and everything.

I bought this 95 Vulcan about two weeks ago and love it! I could IMMEDIATELY tell that it was having starting issues. So first I changed the battery and got an AGM battery. After that it still continued so I took out all the spark plugs.

I can tell by the spark plugs that one side of the engine is running really rich and one side is running really lean.

I replaced the spark plugs and the problem got better but still continued to give me trouble.

I wrapped the exhaust headers and then took her out for a ride and parked and then when I came to leave it just wouldn't turn over. I finally wore down the battery and took it home and charged it.

Brought it back and tried to start it thinking it would start right up but nope! The starter motor just turned slower and slower until it just stopped.>>>>>THAT'S when the smoking came from the starter.

(Ive replaced two or three starters in my day on some Suzuki GS's)

So yeah I got that old starter off today and good God it's old and worn! I tested it and sure enough its bad.

Hoping replacing the starter will fix this whole issue ive been having and then on to getting the carbs synced.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob112o View Post
Did this actually work for you? The pick up coil mod that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement