Please help 1985 vulcan vn700 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

2Likes
  • 2 Post By One1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Please help 1985 vulcan vn700

Hi this bike has been a complete headache last few weeks with the charging issue I have pulled the main harness checked each wire individually for any breaks or other issues such as continuity the wires have came up good, I have done multiple tests to the stator that has came up good, I even tested the voltage regulator came up good and thought ok maybe there is a chance it was bad so I figured I'll buy a new voltage regulator and just give it a try since I heard they can be tricky still does same thing. Heres what's going on I can ride the bike all day hours on end bike runs fine shut it off starts right back up drive 30 miles come back at the end of the day go to pull it in the garage open the door get back on bike go to pull out bike dies go to restart it battery dead. I even left the bike idle sitting for an hour shut it off fires back up. I dont understand it, it's almost like the bike is charging when it wants too and not as it should. I dont know if I'm missing something here cause the bike is driving me nuts lol. I have went threw the ignition that's fine, kill switch is fine, wiring inside headlight is fine. If anyone has any good ideas on what this can be at this point I'm willing to try anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:27 AM

Garage
When you say the battery is dead, are you testing the voltage between the battery terminals to determine that it has no charge?
It sounds suspicious that the bike dies right as you get back on to pull it into your garage. Is this a new bike for you? Are you aware of the lockout circuit? Won't start in gear if the clutch is engaged, and will shut off if you try to drive off with the kickstand down. Maybe?

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:49 PM

Yea that's what I was thinking too. Kick stand or in gear. Get yourself a cheap Digital voltmeter and install on the cluster. Under 10 bucks in eBay or Amazon and this can help you a lot.

2000 VN750
Digital voltmeter
Lubed spline (5k)
New tires (5k)
Pick up coils to .20mm
K&N air&oil filters
Relocate R&R
2 wire mod
Iridium plugs (7.2k)
Change oil and filter (8.6k)
Removal of the CA emissions (7.3k)
Cap Reed valves off the engine (7.3k)
Redesign stock seat (8k)
Change Engine Ice (8k)
Install KLR650 bars (8.3k)
Change final drive oil (8.3k)
Install power source & phone mount (8.5k)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Ya the bike actually left me on the side of the road today too died had a jump pack hooked it up cranked it over fired up ran all the way home fine got to the house bike died again...yes I do know about the lockout thank you, i have been riding 15+ years and this is the first of this situation for me. It's almost like the bike picks its days on when it will give me trouble since the post I have rode it the past few days no issues until the other day. I have tested things multiple times now and cant find anything suspicious. But I have a question is there anything inside the fuse box that allows charging on this bike? I pulled the back cover off there was alittle corrosion but nothing bad tested the relays seemed ok. At this point I'm willing try anything you guys can come up with, I'm even going trying the side stand etc. To see, please feel free to give a suggestion really I mean I'll try anything on it. Thank you so much
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Also when I open the garage I foregot to mention I leave bike idle and it's still in neutral when it shuts off I literally sit down get comfortable about to pull clutch in and reach to shift gears before I even do that bike shuts down on it's own. And the battery is dead not so much as a click
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:14 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
Given the information this is not a charging system issue. It's a power switch issue. The stator is charging, not randomly, but charging. You need to take the ignition switch apart and clean it. Next time this happens do nothing other than turn the ignition switch all the way on. If you have a park mode past the run position go to the park mode then back to the run and see..... I bet it starts.
OleDirtyDoc and roadpouring like this.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement