Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Talking Tearing my hair out!!!

Hi guys.
I have the A11 model. It's a U.S. import (I live in the U.K) and I'm having problems with battery not charging properly. All circuit tests check out. Heavy load drain via fixed headlight could be an issue tho. In UK we dont have to have h/lights on constantly during daylight, but this bike is wired so it comes on at start up. I think it was supposed to live in Calif. and so its not keen on British winter / weather!!!! Today's another day I've had to take off work to charge battery, using Optimate III. Selaniod is ok. Earth seems ok too. Can anyone help please? It get embarassing as I'm area sec for local VRA chapter!!! lol. Ride safe. The General
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Ol Poop on a motorcycle

Re: Tearing my hair out!!!

I have an A19 with the same problem. If I don't ride much after dark, I can pull the headlight fuse out, and the system will keep the battery charged up. It just makes it unhandy to have to reinsert the fuse to turn the headlight on when I need it. A friend of mine has the same thing happening on his wife's VN750 since she rode it to Sturgis last August.

I believe that one leg of the stator is bad, and the system is only getting 2/3 of the charging capacity of the generator. The tests that I've done on mine didn't result in either "bad" nor "good" according to the book, so I'm still testing mine when I get a chance. It's parked while I ride my older VN750, and I'm hoping to get back onto the problem this winter. I'm thinking they're going to need new stators to get back the charging capacity that they need, but I don't know for sure.

CD in Frederick, OK
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Search Goddess

Re: Tearing my hair out!!!

I had the same problem when my stator was going. I have a voltmeter on the bike and it charged fine when the bike first started, but once the bike warmed up the volts never read above 13. The initial stator tests were fine. It was only when I tested the bike when "hot" that I got the bad ground fault readings.
Try testing the bike after a ride. Ther other option is you may have a bad connection or ground somewhere. The hot bike stator test is the easiest though to rule out.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Talking Re: Tearing my hair out!!!

Hi folks.

Have bought alternator and regulator/rectifier for 110pounds sterling. ($US190) I hope this will be the end of the problem. I use the bike thru the British winter (brrr!) and summer, autumn (fall) and spring for work play and everything else. So if I cant get to work it costs me money. Should be good now tho!
Thanks again.
Qapla'!
The General
(Area Sec Anglia Vulcan Riders Assoc, VRA UK)

The General
Sponsored Links
Advertisement