Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ubertalldude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

AGM Batteries

Having no time to give "Ole Bessy" (2000 VN 750) any love this winter, i pulled her out of storage a few weeks back, her battery was dead, and i wanted to ride. Immediately. Being an impatient knucklehead, i bought what they had in stock at advance auto parts. If i could reach, I'd kick myself in the pants for not researching further before purchasing. I filled the new battery with acid, put it on my brandy new Noco G1100 to charge, threw it in, and tried to start her up. Bessy was having none of it. Im not sure if the charger just can't charge a brand new battery, if the battery just doesn't have enough CCA, or what. (I've tried to research it, i can't find anything my dumb brain can understand.) What i do know is i want to make sure that the battery isn't an issue for the next few years. I don't have a volt meter. Im not a mechanic. I can turn a wrench, but only by reminding myself of righty tighty, lefty loosey. (Ok, maybe I'm not that pathetic, but close.)

Anyway, for the past two weeks I've tried the search feature on the forums, and used my best Google-fu skills... to no avail. I've found old posts suggesting AGM batteries that are no longer made, "replacement" suggestions that i don't recognize, and allegedly authentic westco 180 CCA batteries on Amazon.

"Ole Bessy" has always been finicky about starting, and from what i gathered, the battery was always the most likely culprit. I REALLY want a pre charged, maintenance free, AGM battery that will end "Ole Bessy's" mood swings. Please, oh wise and powerful VN 750 gurus... pretty please! Help a brother find the battery that will end my windless, ever impatient, boring existence. You guys always seem to know know exactly what you're talking about, and back your answers with experience, logic, and facts.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:58 AM

Maybe you can return the weak wet cell and get an AGM? I think the AGMs come in about 250cca, there's just no substitute.

Sounds like the wet cell is weak enough to test poorly and get them to exchange it.

The former Deka XTL**** is still out there under a new name. It was Magnapower XTL*** when I bought mine at Advance in 2013. It sat all winter 2018 without a start or charge, I forgot to turn the gas on and cranked it a lot. Once I turned the gas on, she fired right up. Pretty good for almost 5 years old.

AGM will cost a few more bucks, but it beats poor starts and replacing the wet cell practically every season. All the stores should have AGMs now. Not to mention ... no acid spewing under the seat.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:31 AM

The Deka ETX15L is sold in various stores under different brand names, or can be bought direct online. These are pre-charged. Autozone has them in stock sometimes but BRING A VOLTMETER or have them test the new ones. I visited there recently to buy one after my 4-year-old ETX15L had died and BOTH the batteries they had on the shelf were dead! 12.0v & 6.5v. NAPA also has them in stock, but I figured I would probably find the same thing there. I ain't spending $90+ on a dead battery...

I then visited my local Kawasaki dealership/powersports store and they had the Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS in stock for $100. This is a GREAT AGM battery, one that's been recommended here for years. I filled it with electrolyte and charged it on my Battery Tender Jr. (750mA version) for about 24 hours and it's like having a new bike, very impressive starting, especially with the pickup coil mod done. I don't know if they re-brand these like they do for the Deka's I mentioned above.

Pre-charged might bite you in the rear if they sat on the shelf for a while, but the Yuasa is a fill'n'charge yourself model. If you're gonna buy a pre-charged one have them test it. It should rest at 12.7 volts MINIMUM or else it's not fully charged. Also not a bad idea to check the date production sticker. If you go the route of fill-it-yourself you don't have to worry as much about that, since you control the "born on" date.

Hope this helps!
WilliamTech3 likes this.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Also, when buying a powersports style battery from a box store, check the manufacture date of the battery.

I bought a 'brand new' one from autobone that was on the shelf 2 yrs! it lasted another 2 in the bike so I wasnt disappointed. also, same autobone I got my new AGM this last time still had batteries from that old batch. the counter clutz had no idea how to read the date code. I had to tell him no to 3 batteries he brought me before I finally got one less than a year old

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement