HELP!!! GROUND wire is shorting - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

HELP!!! GROUND wire is shorting

HELP
Earth ( GROUND ) wire is shorting somwhere and i cant find out were, there seems to be a ghost moving around
the electrics. i disconected almost everything and still showed 12 volts. i thought i traced it a couple of times.
The switchs were the neutral light is. i put the metre light on the negative terminal and touched the ground wire
on the frame and the bulb light up... WTF. So i disconected the blocks on the harness and the light goes out...
Great found the problem. So i check the wiring now and no light from the bulb but the metre shows
a voltage in the ground wires somwhere.... Im going round in ever decreasing circles. Im STUCK LOL...
Ive replaced the junction box but reluctant to buy igniters etc etc. until i can at least locate the problem...
What can cause these problems. is it mainly dodgy wire, or am i looking at replacing every electric item
on the bike to find the fault...
I get live to the coils somtimes, ie: when the ground wire isnt live...
Blimy this is hard to work out. ive allready spent a lot of time proding and disconecting and testing...
please help if you can...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Slow down Scot. You need to be a little more specific. Where are you hooking up the light and what are you looking for? Does the bike run? What is working and what is not? If you describe the problem a little more either I or someone on this site will help you. Good luck.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Is it possible for a ground to short???? How does that work? I am a bit confused.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Well its like this. there is a black and yellow wire running through the harness.
looking at the manual this says its the ground wire (earth) when i put the digitalmetre or the test light on this wire the test light lights up. ie: i have the crocodile clip on the negative terminal and the test light wired into the ground wire (BL) This means i have 12volts running through the ground wire. took the ignition switch to bits and cleaned re-assembled. and will fit this tommorow morning. See what happens...
Ive disconected every wire block terminals, took igniter of replaced junction box and i keep getting 12volts on the multimetre. somtimes this reads 12volts but does not light up the test light, strange. It doesnt blow any fuses either.
Is the igniter at fault?
Or regulator? Am i missing somthing out here, this is very weird ive never had trouble like this, ive got the harness opened up trying locate any shorted connections.
Difficult one though, ive been all over the net trying to find best way to locate a short or find fault!!!
The Bike doesnt run, did run last week when i bought it, but conked out shortly afterwards. started again then conked out once more. Not been able to fix it since. Not even been for a blast on it yet

Last edited by scotiaredd; 03-13-2009 at 06:59 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Whoa there Scot. the bike doesn't run at all? Does the bike start? Is there fuel in the tank beyond the fuel gauge reading whatever. Can you hear the fuel sloshing around when you rock the bike from side to side. or can you see it? What year is the bike? Is the kickstand up or down? Is the kill switch in the right position? stop rambling and answer the questions.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Old Truck Junkie

That wire may be part of the safety switch system. It may be that it is not grounded because the safety switch is opened. Or the wire has shorted against a hot wire and burned in two and is not grounding to the frame. My best 2 cents.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Safty system, i was thinking of this. ive allready connected the clutch wires together. going to rig the side stand wires together tommorow. The bike doesnt run. its defintly an electric fault, sorry about the rambling as its hard to explain. as electrics isnt my strong point... And neither is my English grammer

If this is how the electric system works on this bike, ie not grounding until saftys of, then this maybe why im getting ghost readings all over the place. I have thought of this and have asked a few people, but no one has the answer...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 09:31 PM
the doctor

You seem to be talking about two different wires. You mention the Blck/Yellow wire - this is the ground system, it will read Hi +12v if it is floating above ground. This means it is not connected to the frame or to the B- (neg. side of battery). This is the first thing to check. The Black/Yellow wire can become loose in the connector at the frame. Happened to me. Didn't know it until I saw the wire fall out of the connector. You also talk about a Black wire, this wire color is not used for the ground system, except for the wire from the negative side of the battery to the frame. In fact the B+ from the push to start button is a black wire that goes to the junction box and will have B+ on it when the start button is pushed. Be sure to check the Clymers as to the wire color and where it goes. Note the same wire color is used more than once, that is why you check again. Of course all of this above could have been change by a PO so keep that in mind.

bringing together
a dead
'86 VN750
"it's alive":"krechure"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
check the ignition switch...I understand exactly what you are talking about. and the Brown wire from the R/R to the ignition switch seams the best cause. another idea is. keeping the testlight hooked up, unplug each fuse untill the light goes out...once the light goes out then you can figure out which circuit is at fault. if you get to the main fuse, start unplugging the harness inside the headlight bucket. You might end up wanting to buy or make a wiring harness. you can get the stock colored wires to make your harness from JP Cycles, and the connectors from Ron Ayers.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 11:02 PM

im going to second what slim said... it actually might be easier to either find another harnes or make your own if you still cant figure it out..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement