Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Buddy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Start Problem

I have a 1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. The bike will crank over and start on a fully charged battery. Run the bike for half hour or so and shut down then attempt to start again the starter turns over slowly as if the battery was low on charge. Leave the bike to cool down for a while and it will start as though the battery is fully charged. Any suggestions or solutions to my problem. Not that experienced here with bike electronics so any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 03:18 PM

Garage
Welcome to the VN750 forum. (Someone will ask that you post an introductory post in the newbie thread)

I'm no expert, but I would measure the voltage at the starter at cranking cold versus hot. Need to know if it is an electrical issue or if it's mechanical. My experience leads me to think more mechanical because the starter solenoid would drop out on low voltage before the starter would drag like that. Unless the starter itself has an issue when it gets heated up from ambient engine heat.

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in soon.

-2016 Indian Springfield
Chieftain bars
Roadmaster heated seat

-1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Ear shaved
Mufflers removed / 38/140 + 2 shims
Relay coil mod
Pick-up coil mod
Emissions removed
Lowered rear
Rear blinkers located in tail light housing
Petcock gutted

- Wife's: 2018 Can-am Spyder F3 Limited Pearl White
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:05 AM

Garage
Try searching the forums for 'hot start' threads. I know it's an issue that has been discussed at length.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:18 PM
2014 KLR 650!

Since these starters are pretty bullet proof, I've rebuild one several times before realizing there isn't much to them and the parts are pretty solid, the problem is probably NOT the starter. Check all of the battery cables TOO the starter and to ground. They might be corroded and when they get hot, they resist too much. They are cheap to replace so why not just do it.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 PM

It's quite possible for a worn starter to perform like that, starts just fine cold, turns slow or only clicks when it's hot. Have had many fail like that.

Need to check the battery voltage and load test it, check voltage draw during cold/hot cranking, charging voltage, and all the connections. Parts stores can load test your battery, it should have 200-250 amps.

If the starter, battery, and charging check out good, then you probably need to look at other "hot start" fixes.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Garage
I have 2 Vulcan 750 a 1989 and a 1995. I have had same issue I upgraded plugs to iridium new wires . The hot restart would continue. Once I installed a new AGM battery problem gone. When bike is hot it seems like it needs more batt power to restart it. Compression may be higher in cylinders and heat expands things so perhaps that why compression is higher. I have found all Vulcan very sensitive to battery voltage . I also cleaned all terminals used di electric grease on all of them and made sure all frame grounds were bright and clean. Have had no issues since
chapmansat and lugnut1009 like this.

!995 1989 VN750 Both bikes have identical accessories. Rear facing cameras with windshield mounted color monitors. Hard saddle bags. Tire pressure monitors. All recommended mods. Removable rear trunks with alarms. Ground facing LED Kawasaki logo illuminate with brake lights .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement