Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Concert connoisseur

Garage
volt/ohm meters

I'm ready to tackle my charging issue but need some info. can anyone tell me where to get a good meter for testing our electrical system that is cheap, preferably in the 20 to 30 dollar range. I do not want to spend much in case I cant even figure out how to use it, I'm pretty mechanically inclined but dont know crap when it comes to electrical.
here is what I've done and what I'm gonna do.
just installed a mf battery from autozone, the bike ran good for about a month but still had to charge it frequently. after a month I could get about 12 miles then the bike would act as if it were running out of gas, the one time I switched to reserve and it got me to work but would not start or barely turn over when I tried to restart it. charged the battery fully again and about 12 miles again it acted like it was running out of gas again and this time reserved did not help. shut it off tried to restart it and it would just barely crank. this makes believe it is electrical and not fuel related (just not enough juice to keep the bike running. I started it for the first time this year and it started fine but am afraid to take it out far. I'm gonna clean all the electrical connections but would like to check the charging system and see if I can pinpoint the problem. anyone else have a similar situation or know the cause of this like maybe rr, stator, connections. I hope it is simple as I am ready to ride it was 55 today.
I couldnt find meters on sears or autozones websites, any links or help would be great.
and oh yeah, its great to be back after a winter of no riding!!!!!!!!!!!!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Sears for about 25 bucks or less. Wal Mart has a good cheap digital one also.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Sounds like you need a new battery.
Over the winter storage period, you should keep a trickle-charge on it.
A brand new battery will only be strong for one season if you don't keep it charged over the winter. (Technically, it's too hard to cram enough juice into such a small package.)

Get your tool at Radio Shack. The cheap digital one is fine. ($20-$25)
Here's a pre-caution w/ using the Volt/Ohm meter:

When using the "ohm" feature of the tool, NEVER NEVER NEVER touch the leads to wires that have juice in them (this includes a capacitor - which stores electricity and will discharge through your meter). That will blow out the teeny tiny fuse in the meter and you won't be able to test again 'till you replace that fuse.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Not sure what kind of MF battery you bought, but you should invest in an AGM Maintenance Free battery. No more acid to worry about, they hold a charge much longer and can go quite along time before you need to charge it. I keep a trickle charger on mine and since installing it last fall it has never let me down. I no longer have to worry about the fluid drying up either and constantly taking the seat off to check it. Buy it, fill if if not already, let it sit an hour or so for the fluid to be absorbed, then charge it overnight, pop it in the bike and ride your heart out!

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Concert connoisseur

Garage
my battery I put in is an agm maintenance free battery from autozone. thats why i think i have a problem elsewhere!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Most likely is the case then. I installed a volt meter on my bike so I can monitor it as I ride. My bike was in storage for 10 years before it was given to me, took me 4 months of hard work to get her back on the road but she is running great. Electrical was not one of my problems, the volt meter helps me keep it that way.

Good luck on finding the source. Lots of smart folks on here who will help as soon as they get home and log on...

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Any cheap meter will work and give you a good indicator of volts.ohns. Most stores sell one for less tahn $20. that have a 1% accuracy. Walmart orSears sells them.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Old Truck Junkie

When you start your bike, with your light on and shining at the wall, rev the engine and see if the light gets brighter. If not your broblem is in the stator or regulator. However; be sure to clean all connections first. Hope this helps some.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

For the best value it's hard to beat the Harbor Freight multimeter. The Cen-Tech "7 function" multimeter (Model 90899) has 1% accuracy in the 12v range. It goes for $4.99 on their web site. I picked up two last summer at the local HF store for $2.99 each. (I keep one in the car or camper.)
Even if you can't get one "on sale", it's a good value at $4.99. I haven't had any problems with mine - even comes with a 9v battery (for resistance measurements).

- Safety First

Paul

'04 VN750
'75 CB360T
'08 Concours 14
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpa View Post
For the best value it's hard to beat the Harbor Freight multimeter. The Cen-Tech "7 function" multimeter (Model 90899) has 1% accuracy in the 12v range. It goes for $4.99 on their web site. I picked up two last summer at the local HF store for $2.99 each. (I keep one in the car or camper.)
Even if you can't get one "on sale", it's a good value at $4.99. I haven't had any problems with mine - even comes with a 9v battery (for resistance measurements).
I have one of these in every toolbox vehicle and tool drawer... one at moms dads and sisters i spent 40 dollars on a bunch of these and they all have never failed me.... was cheaper and easier to pick one up then to run home and grab one so i spread the wealth

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92020

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator

Last edited by seebeeare; 03-07-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement