Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Rust spots on forks

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bronson 
#1 ·
Another hurdle!

My forks have quite a few rust spots on them, they look like they got hit with a bad case of chicken pox!

Reading a few other sources I found suggestions to use very fine sandpaper, then polisher, other site suggested to use SOS pads and to keep them wet with diesel, other site suggested to buy new forks!.

Any suggestions here?

#2 ·
Steel Wool available @ Home Depot & such. ..... Fine 00 or 000 ....Yes, your methods will work also.

#3 ·
The question is...are the rust spots on the upper fork tube on the lower part of the tube that goes into the lower tube when the forks compress?

If so be very carefull on sanding there. If the bikes been ridden you might want to check the fork seals for leaks.

Make sure the rust is not do to dings or dents in the fork tubes.

#4 ·
I use 000 or 0000 steel wool WET out with Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner and Rust Remover. After it drys I go over it with dry steel wool. Then apply one more coat of Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner and Rust Remover with a clean cloth, wait for it to dry, and remove with clean cloth. :smiley_th

#6 ·
You might try fine (grey color) scotch brite. You can wrap around the tube and work it like a shoe shine. Chrome polish can work wonders too if there is no pitting.
Bronson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.