Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

93 without spark

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  lrayvick 
#1 ·
After my adventure with the 85 I couldn't resist another one. Here were my issues with the 85: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9427. I hope the issue with the 93 isn't as complicated.

Prob is no spark on any plug. I did a search on here and didn't find any posts that addressed my prob. I have looked at the troubleshooting guide in the manual.

The battery is fully charged and the motor cranks fine. I have a good stop switch i.e. there is continuity in the run position. I checked all the fuses. I have a spare ignitor box I swapped into it and still no spark. I have a neutral light.

The manual says the prob may also be the neutral, starter lockout, or sidestand switch or the pickup coil. I have not tested them. But I don't understand how any of them could cause a no spark condition. Is there anyone on here that can explain that?

Is there anything else obvious that would cause no spark on all plugs?

#5 ·
Here is something you could check as well, with the ignition switch "on" and the engine stop switch to run, there should be Battery voltage on the red wires that goes to each of the ignition coils and to the 6 pin connector of the IC. The BLK/Y wire on the ic should be ground. I dont know what the pick-up coils do exaclty but i wonder if those could be at fault. On the 4 pin connector of the IC the BLK/Y and the BLK wires go to the front cyc pick up coil, blk/W and blk/R go to the rear. Pick up coil resistance should be
355-535 Ohms.

#6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think I found the prob and I am NOT happy. The pickup coils read zero resistance. I compared my readings on them to pickup coils on another 750 motor I have. Those read about 450 Ohms. These readings are across each pair of leads which I think is the right way to measure since the other measurement in the manual is between each lead and chassis ground which I did not do.

Can anyone answer how both pickup coils could be bad? One I could understand although the fix is the same - r&r the motor! Any tricks to r&r the motor?

I did go through the interlock switches tests and they were all good.

#7 ·
You have a digital camera? I took photos of anyhting i think i might need to referance when I pulled my engine. Cant take enought photos. I would make sure the wiring to the coils look ok. Heck if your gonna pull the motor to replace your coils you may want to replace the stator while your in there if your stator is old. Lots of post on here about stators going out probably cuz you need to remove the motor also for that. then the R/R also, but i dont know your situation. just a thought. I have a post on here "my headlight problem just got worse" there is a link on there someone sent me for a free downloadable manual (PDF) format. if you dont have a manual atleast get that.

#8 ·
Might also wanna look into the mod that lets you change out the stator without removing the engine... might come in handy one day.

#9 ·
Before I replace the coils I am going to do one more check to see if the wires from the pick up coils are good. I still can't believe both pickup coils went bad at the same time.

If I do have to buy pick up coils for it, I see some sets on Ebay for about $10 to $50 when I search on "vulcan (pick-up coil, pulse generator)". Anyone know what coils I can use i.e. any year VN700/750, or any other models of Vulcan?

#10 ·
Before I replace the coils I am going to do one more check to see if the wires from the pick up coils are good. I still can't believe both pickup coils went bad at the same time.

If I do have to buy pick up coils for it, I see some sets on Ebay for about $10 to $50 when I search on "vulcan (pick-up coil, pulse generator)". Anyone know what coils I can use i.e. any year VN700/750, or any other models of Vulcan?
Any year vn700/750 will work. Don`t know about any other models.

#11 ·
I had the same problem today with my coils today. I took the coil off the bike and placed it on the bench. I took a screw driver and placed it where the spark plug plugs into and laid it close to coil (metal showing opposite side of power/ground spades). Hooked and alligator clip to the positive side of the coil(with wire attached and bolted to battery pos terminal post)... take the negative side of the battery and tap the spade clip on the opposite coil side... while your doing this, watch the screwdriver and see if it sparks and if it does, make sure that its a good spark. ELECTRICAL SHOCK HAZARD so be careful... I only did this because I didnt know what the coils ohms were for testing...

#12 ·
Bought a set of pickup coils THEN I re-tested the ones in the bike. Stripped the insulation off the 4-wire bundle and found out some vandal had cut two of the wires - just two, not all four. Like they were trying to make it hard to diagnose. That's why I got zero ohms in both coils. Reconnected them, fresh gas and she fired right up.

Moral of the story - both pickup coils will probably not fail at the same time.

Anybody need a pair of good pickup coils for $25 + a couple bucks for shipping?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.