Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Petcock/Reserve riding (Awful)

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  J.D. 
#1 · (Edited)
deleted

#4 ·
Yes, quite possible. It will be looked into. I recall two screens connected to the petcock; a small one (which must be Reserve) and a big one that goes about midway up the tank (possibly the "ON" position).
That would be correct...

I must assume (even though I'm certain I cleaned it) that there's some nastiness at the bottom of my tank (varnish? gum?) clogging/contaminating little screen? But for it to work/perform excellent on the "ON" position? Wouldn't such have left my jets clogged? Weird. Ride safe.
Unlikely; if it ain't gettin' past the reserve pickup filter, it ain't gonna make it to the jets.

FWIW, I've run mine several tanks at a time in the "Reserve" position, and never had a problem.

#6 ·
Funny - the way you described your bike running on reserve is EXACTLY how my bike is running now - on either Reserve or the On position. If you figure anything out, let me know.

I don't have the facilities (or time really) to be able to pull my carbs off and rebuild them, so I am going to end up taking mine in to the shop I buy most of my parts at. I am hoping it doesn't cost TOO much.

AZ Kev

#7 ·
I think if my bike ran differently depending on the position of my petcock lever, I would attach two hoses connected to the petcock, and hang them in a catch bucket. I would then apply vacuum to the petcock, and monitor (observe) the flow of both sides as I rotated the petcock lever to each position. I might find where the lever works best for even flow to each side that way, or if there was a problem in one of the positions.

#8 ·
Does anyone know how to find a new filter screen for Petcock ? kawasaki said they no longer manufacture them for 1992 Vulcan 750. Or maybe how to rebuild the filter.. i heard someone mention that a Yamaha might be good replacement.. but no mention of year or model, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated as my bike sat for a few years and now tank is clean but cant find a 92 petcock for it with a filter.

#9 ·
Any vn750 petcock will fit your `92. Early models from `85 to `87 (or 88?) will not have an OFF position, but a PRIme position that will flow fuel without vacuum applied to the middle nipple. You can leave your petcock in the ON or REServe position while parked. Without engine vacuum, the diaphram valve shuts off the fuel flow. (Disclaimer: I have read that a faulty petcock can allow fuel to flow without vacuum in the ON/RES position, but this is not a common problem.)

I think this is the thread with the Yamaha petcock you were looking for:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16578

Yamaha part number and info quoted from above link:
23F-24500-11-00

One of the bikes they are off of is a 1997 Yamaha Trailway 200 (TW200).

$10.40 or so from Big #1 Yamaha
Read the whole thread as there is some doubt in post 23 about whether the fuel opening for this small capacity 200cc engine is big enough to feed the larger Vulcan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.