Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

MSNBC article: "Motorcycle deaths drop, but overall trend is worrisome "

6K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  NetMatrix 
#1 ·
#2 ·
very interesting. I just don't understand novelty helmet, why not just buy a dot approved helmet since you have to wear a helmet anyways.

#3 ·
I don't understand...what is a "novelty" helmet?

#10 ·
Don't know if I'd be proud of that.....did'nt Wisconson lead the country a year or two back with the most motorcycle fatalities ?

I should also point out I have NEVER seen a sport bike rider wearing a "novelty" helmet....and to be more accurate I don't think I have ever seen one wearing anything but a full face helmet, and usually a high end model.

Unless the trend has changed ... The group with the highest incidence of fatal or serious accidents is those in the 40 year old and up range riding large heavy cruisers. Even though "kids on sport bikes" seem to get more attention when they crash....they are still lower stat wise to get killed than many who are reading this now.

Those of you that traded your 750 in for a VTX, 1500, or Meanie...are almost twice az likely to get seriously hurt on it than a kid on a Ninja.

BMW was the first to put anti lock brakes on a bike.... but yes the way they worded it makes it sound like BMW is the only company (now) that offers it. Many bikes from just about every maker... including Harley, offer ABS bikes. My FJR has them, and they rock.

KM

#8 · (Edited)
Because as the article states, BMW is using anti-lock braking systems which is linked to safety. However, I bet there are other manufacturers doing this too.

#11 ·
You know thats about right, I kinda feel out of place ridin my Sportster and wearin my full face helmet when I ride with them, which is seldom... No matter though, I'll keep on wearin it...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#12 ·
When I was researching a college paper a couple of years ago, it became obvious that the number of deaths in motorcycle accidents went up when ridership went up and went down when ridership went down. Fairly simple, no surprises there. What makes ridership go up and down? One thing that always had an impact was when a state passed a mandatory helmet law. Usually the ridership went down about 20% the next year, and guess what, motorcycle deaths dropped about 20%. Advocates of helmet laws crooned, "see, mandatory helmet laws saved lives, and I guess in a way they did, because they discouraged about 20% of riders from riding. Same thing in reverse when those laws were repealed in some states. Ridership went up about 20% and death rates went up about 20%. Once again, mandatory helmet law advocates shouted, "see, when you repealed the helmet laws, death rates went up". The one thing that never seemed to change was the death rate per accident. Whether the riders were or were not wearing a helmet, the death rate was a dead heat per accident.

So what else might change ridership? Well, gas prices, the general economy things like that also impact how many people ride and how often.

After doing the actual research myself pulling journals from college libraries instead of just reading what some politician said or some journalist wrote, I decided that helmets just won't save your life in a serious accident. They may keep you from ripping off an ear, or gouging out your eye or any number of other superficial wounds, but since most fatalities are attributed to bleed out from the biker snapping his thigh bone(s) and severing his femoral artery(ies) as he goes over the handlebars, I don't see the helmet making much difference there.

#13 · (Edited)
So you are saying you don't wear a helmet?

Sorry but any time someones uses the word "most" I see red flags. I know of six fatal accidents where the riders died from blunt trauma, crushed organs and... a few other bad ways to go..but none were do to severed femoral artieries.
I also witnessed several crashes where the rider hit their helmet fairly hard...enough that one still had a severe concussion. It was mentioned by the doctor treating them if they did not have a helmet on, they would likely be dead.

So sure, you fly off your bike and hit a brick wall at 90 mph no amount of protective gear is going to help you....but what a fking bittch it would be to die from falling over at 20 mph...... when a helmet would have kept you living.

KM

#14 ·
I am not trying to jack this thread but one gentleman in the article hinted on my point. I want to see motorcycles accepted as regular transportation by the insurance industry and everyone else. I ride way more than the cagers do and I pay more for the privilege. They should be happy we are skilled and want to "save the planet". Or perhaps they can say..if you ride this much a year than you are a real biker...and if you ride less than 5000 miles a year then you are a "recreational biker".

#20 ·
Right in line with the Hurt Report (http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/hurt.html), which also found untrained riders were more likely to be involved in accidents, and their injuries were more severe than riders who had formal training.

#21 · (Edited)
as a former medic I have seen quite a few motorcycle accidents.

I usually wear a full face helmet all the time on the crotch rocket on the vulcan sometimes........... a helmet wont save your life usually if your going above 30 Mph, sure you'll have a pretty face in the casket...

1.) never grab a hand full of front brake in an oh $hit situation , you will go flying over the handlebars (highside) if your gonna wreck it use the rear brake and (lowside) the bitch this way you can wear a padded diaper for a few months after the pebbles get picked out of your ass.

2.) I ride in the left lane but in the right hand portion of the lane so the cagers can see me in their driver mirror.

3.) Go practice emergency braking in an abandoned parking lot and figure out the point just before lockup.... be careful but alot of people dont realize how far they can squeeze their brake before lockup and practice pumping them unless you have ABS

4.) Look at where you want to go and LEAN do not fixate yourself on the light pole..... you will hit it, practice "kissing the mirror" and proper body position. practice lean angles doing figure 8"s and round'a'bouts going left and right in that abandoned parking lot.

5.) if you ever get a chance to do a trackday or go to a race school, do it you will learn alot.

6.) slow down a bit......im still practicing on this one :smiley_th when going 160 mph.........65 mph seems like im standing still.

#24 · (Edited)
Well I decided not to read the MSNBC article. After the report they did on TV several months ago on the Remington 700 series rifle I don't have much respect for them or actually any of the news reporting bunch. There was much more to the story than the tragic shooting of the child by its mother. There is a lot more to the story. MSNBC hates the 2nd amendment. Period. They have made that all too clear for many years.

I would buy one tomorrow if I knew the trigger assembly had not been messed with by a previous owner.

You can't fix stupid..........

My 2 cents

Oh yeah, I choose to wear a helmet. I've fallen off too many dirt bikes and know how it feels. And I'm getting a little old for it but still do it. It just hurts a little longer.............

#28 ·
A few years ago 98 Rock in Baltimore was broadcasting from a Royal Farms gas station one morning. It was cold out when they pointed out a guy on a motorcycle getting gas, they stopped him to talk to him. As he was leaving Mickey asked him if he had any last words. He said look out for motorcycles. Mickey said he would not. If you choose to ride a motorcycle it is your own fault and he was not going to pay extra attention for bikes. That motorcycles should not get in the way of cars. He went on like this for a few minutes before I changed the channel. I took 98 rock off my presets and have not listened since.

#29 ·
Maybe the 18 wheelers should pay him no mind...lol... Anyway we pay for our Oper. liscense, tags, Ins., and gas tax with the same green stuff they do, so that gives me the same right as they have... If he don't want to be on the road with bikes, park it, and leave more gas for us...lol...

#31 ·
Here is a Pic of him

#32 ·
Radio DJ's tend to be brainless twats from what I have seen. The " drive time" / "morning zoo" ones are usually only one step up from dog crap.

I can't remember the last time I listened to the radio (broadcast) With MP3's, CD's, XM, and Pandora..... I feel relief not having to listen to idiots with microphones any more....

KM

#33 ·
I usually listen to WTOP news traffic and weather anymore.

#34 ·
I just noticed that you're in Dale City. As someone with friends in the area and being a frequent traveler on the 95 corridor, my hat's def. off to you! Traffic there is a nightmare! Way worse than anywhere I've ever driven. And I've been around the world a few times.
Not sure if ANYTHING would make a Biker safe on that hiway?

#36 ·
Ha, ha, his picture reminds me of that silverspoon idiot NASCAR driver Kyle Busch that smashed his trophy guitar at Nashville speedway, think they might be some kin...lol...
Now the cars are so safe you don't need to have guts to drive one in NASCAR, just be an AH and you can win...
Just sayin...

#39 ·
And you get extra points for using either of the Busch Bothers name in the same sentence with Idiot.I'll through an" atta boy" too OD.I keep telling you Kids to not mess with the old guys:smiley_th:smiley_th

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.