lash adjusters - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

lash adjusters

Friends, I,m in South Africa and the 750 vulcan was never imported to SA. hence all spares has to be imported.with the current dollar/rand exchange (10 to 1) a lash adjuster will cost me about $600 when landed,I,m desperately looking for lash adjusters. there must be somebody out there with a blown motor who can help me PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:50 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocknel View Post
Friends, I,m in South Africa and the 750 vulcan was never imported to SA. hence all spares has to be imported.with the current dollar/rand exchange (10 to 1) a lash adjuster will cost me about $600 when landed,I,m desperately looking for lash adjusters. there must be somebody out there with a blown motor who can help me PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Are you sure the lash adjusters are bad? They can be removed , bled and reinstalled. Sometimes if a engine sits for a long preiod of time the adjusters will leak down and cause the cam lobes to wear. The adjusters will pump back up but the damage to the cam and rocker has been done. A worn oil pump will also will also cause this to happen.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Nine times out of ten, it's the automatic cam chain tensioners not staying adjusted that cause the noises our engines make. It is really hard for the lash adjusters to bleed out. I had a set that sat in the heads for 4 years and even when I tried to bleed them to fill them, they were still full of oil. As long as the lash adjusters have been in the head and the bike stored on the side or center stand, the valve lash adjusters should be fine.

See the Grambo trick in the Verses for a quick and dirty way to reset the ACCTs.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

I took the valve adjusters out because when I ran the motor I fed it a bottle of valve and adjuster ease as per instructions (wynns) and the noise ( like two hammers banging away) disseapeared totally but would return the moment U blipped the throttle, After removing the lash adjusters I found that one of them will not hold pressure even after thorougly rinsing it out. I would fill said adjuster with oil by pumping it submerged in oil and then squeze it with my fingers I will then be able to get the lash adjuster to collapse completely with just the presure from my hand. The other three adjusters will not do this. Please give me more info on the acct and what sort of noise its makes because to me it seems to be OK
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I bought one a couple yrs back I will see if I can find it and let you know.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Dear Friend, U will makr me and my girlfriend extremely happy, I bought the bike at a bargain price of US$ 350 for the excact reason that spares is not available in South Africa. I have a Yamaha yzf 1000 r1 and bought the girlfriend a 125 scooter a year ago with the understanding that if I feel comfortable with her driving skills I will get her a big bike.Then the Kawa vulcan came U and I feel its a good entry level bike, having a low centre of gravity and and not to much performance. Other than the valve lash adjuster the bike is in a very good all round performance. If I like the cruiser style and I believe I will I,m going to swop my yamaha for a 1500 vulcan as I,m approaching 56 and feel that my days on a superbike should come to end. Although I dont intend ever stopping and as long as I can get an leg over I will be ridding as we here in Cape town has argubaly the best and most beautiful roads and scenery in the world. I would sencerely love it if U can find said Valve adjuster and just through it in the post. Chock Nel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement