eBay: Radiantz 1.85" Dual Intensity Amber LED Cluster - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
eBay: Radiantz 1.85" Dual Intensity Amber LED Cluster

I just put one of these on eBay (http://tinyurl.com/dg4zbm). I've replaced all 4 turn signals with these clusters and am very happy with the results. Only 0.3 amps power at full intensity. This was a spare that I don't think I'll need since the LEDs should outlast the bike. I used the existing OEM bulb bases to install them (broke/removed the glass bulb and wired in the LED).

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Just wondering.. the knock on bulbs like these has always been that they are uni-directional and don't provide any illumination to the side. How much does your lens diffuse the light and make the signals visible from the side?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
Just wondering.. the knock on bulbs like these has always been that they are uni-directional and don't provide any illumination to the side. How much does your lens diffuse the light and make the signals visible from the side?
Most of the current class of LEDs are still very unidirectional and the lens on our VN750 do little to diffuse the light to the side. This particular LED cluster is comprised of 'wide angle' LEDs to improve their range, but only in the direction the LED cluster is pointed.

For my application I mounted the cluster to the lens directly with just a dab of silicone adhesive (the 1.85" clusters fit perfectly between the screw posts on the turn signal lens). From the side you can tell the turn signal is active, but it is less obvious than a standard light bulb would be. If I did more night riding, then I would definitely mount a few LEDs running lights along the side of the bike, regardless of what type of bulb is in the tail lights, for safety.

I found that these LED clusters are much brighter (to those behind or in front of me) than stock bulbs and the instant on/off of LEDs, as opposed to the buildup and decay of incandescent bulbs, makes my bike even more noticeable.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement