Nice Bike - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Nice Bike

Hi all, just registered
I also posted this in the Newbie thread, sorry to post twice, I will remove post when bike is gone.

Here is my story if you have a few min

I bought a 1985 VN700A last summer with 23,xxx miles on it off of craigslist. The guy said it had been sitting a long time, but that he had removed the plugs and put oil in the cylinders and he cranked it over 2 or 3 times a year.

When I got there he had it running, but I couldnt ride it because the rear tire was flat. It sounded great, looked good, and $800 seemed fair enough. Put a new rear tire on it and your good to go right ? Not.

So I won't go into detail, you all know the story, the stator is bad, he knew it, knew you had to pull the engine, and stuck me with it. I am 55, been riding and working on bikes all my life. I have the tools and capability to do the job np, just don't have the time or inclination to do so. So I am selling the bike, thought I would give you guys first shot on it since your fans. I will say that I have never ridden a bike I liked better (on the street lol). I have put 1500 miles on it as it will go right around 60 miles on a full charged battery before it won't start. I drove it 80 miles one time, still ran great when I got home but batt was almost completely dead. I did alot of work on it, and other than the stator, this bike is completely ready to ride. All of the new parts listed were installed in the last 5 months.

Here are the details:
The good:

New tires front and rear
New Air Cleaners
New Harley Mufflers and bye bye GB ( Sounds GREAT)
New Plugs
New R/R (bought it before I tested stator, never installed it)
New Speedo Cable
Removed Smog lines and blocked off reed valves
New Synthetic Shaft Oil
New Rotella in motor, changed it 3 times in 1,500 miles
New Oil Filter
New Anti-Freeze
New Interstate Lead-Acid Battery, didnt know when I bought it these bikes like no maint.
The Bad:

Couple of small dents in tank, otherwise great tank, paint good, no rust in tank.

Stator has obviously been replaced but is not working, no short to ground, just no output.

When stator was replaced the proper grommet was not used in the sidecase, the PO used RTV which looks bad but it is not leaking.

I noticed when I was going through the wiring looking for bad bullet connectors or other problems that the bottom of the battery box is busted on one side, it still holds the battery fine but it should be fixed.

The front shock seals are weeping ever so lightly, have all 4 seals brand new in package, just never put them on since not leaking hardly at all.

The Trunk lock has been removed, guess they lost the key, I use a wire tire to hold it shut, common lock, easy to get.

I put brand new harley mufflers on it, did a great job making custom mounts for them they look like they came on the bike. But the pipes are original, have some rust on them, but work fine.

The mounting bracket for the tachometer is broken, the tach is held in place with a large black wire tire, can't hardly tell it, I never even thought about fixing it, doesnt hurt a thing.

The original seat has been repaired a couple of times, still shows no foam but doesn't look the best, lol.

I don't have a cell phone but if anyone is interested I will borrow one and take pics to upload. I live on the Iowa/Missouri Border, North of Saint Joseph, Mo. If anyone is interested PM me or I would be glad to answer any other questions you have. I would like to get $900 for it if I can. It runs GREAT, doesnt smoke or use oil, starts instantly when charged, and would make someone a great bike that wants to pull the motor and change the stator. I also have a brand new Chilton on it and some other spare stuff. Clear Missouri Title.

I know this is the newbie post thread but I just joined to see if anyone of you is interested in this bike before I put it on craigslist. Thanks, Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement