Should I sell as is, or part out? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Sell or Swap
Got a part you want to sell or looking for a part?
Want to trade for something? Post it in here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Should I sell as is, or part out?

Hi members,

I've been extracting so much useful info from this site since buying an 86 750 from a guy a few years ago. Thank-you so much.

Since the purchase, I've spent well over a thousand bucks on parts and repairs (buddy of mine is a pretty good bike mechanic and gives me a great rate). Been riding the last couple of months and been having trouble with the bike not charging once hot, especially in town and at idle at intersections. Now, there seems to be something clogging up the carbs too.

Long story short, I'm done. I've replaced the stator with a TPE one (that process took a couple of months - Tim doesn't respond much to emails or phone messages), relocated (and purchased a new OEM) the R/R, bought Yuasa battery, installed voltmeter, etc. Now with this carb issue and hot weather charging issue , I don't feel like I can take the bike anywhere but back and forth to work, refused ride invites because my bike will die, and they'll be left helping my sorry ass.

I don't want to sell this bike as is, because it has unresolved issues, and as such won't get much for it. I also just paid $200 this spring to get the seat re-upholstered. Do you guys think it'd be worth parting the bike out? Or cut my losses and almost give it away to some poor sap with more time on his/her hands to spend hours searching the forums on this site to fix it?

Thank-you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Tinkerer

Garage
Personally I wouldn't give up (I'm stubborn) and with the help of the guru's here on the forum, I'm sure some other options could be suggested.

Parting out the bike might generate more cash in the long term, but how long will it take, never mind the hassle to sell everything?

Man can not live by bread alone... he needs Duct tape & WD40
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:45 AM

The Two Wire mod might help, it's practically free to try.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Expendable newbie

Garage
It's gonna depend on you and what you are willing to do. Depends on what you want for it and how much more time and money you want to put in.

You should get an idea of how much it may cost to get it fixed and determine if it's worth it for you.

You could try listing it up for sale as-is to see how much you can get for it and if you are willing to let it go at that price. When you do list it for sale, just remember to be open and honest about the issues so that you'll get honest offers and not pissed off buyers.

If you are parting it out, then be prepare to do a fair amount of work. You will have to remove the parts and prep it for shipping. Also you might have to hold on to the bike for a good amount of time as it may take some time to sell the parts.

It's your bike so you know how it behaves. If you are reluctant to let it go, then don't. You can slowly fix it overtime, or get a new bike for group riding. If you don't want it anymore, then you can part it out if you are willing to put in the work, or sell it as-is for a loss, since it may cost you more in the long run.

Don't take my word for it. I'm just a foolish newbie.
When in doubt, just know that I am only joking around.

95 VN750
Top speed is 112 mph at ~7900 rpm
Blacked out engine
Dry rusty splines finally lubed for the first time
R/R relocated to the side of fuse box
Rust removed from tank
Marbled
In line fuel filter, 23-28 micron rating
Voltmeter
Gear indicator
LED turn signals & brake light
16 color LED engine light up & underglow
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 05:20 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Yes if you don't have hours to search the internet to fix it you also don't have the weeks to months to part it out either.step back for a little and think it over.remember it's hard sometimes to see what is on the side of the street you are walking until you are on the other side of the road

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:29 PM

Garage
Unless you plan on completely disassembling the engine and selling each part separately, you won't make that much parting it out. If you do plan on taking the engine apart, prepare to be working on it for at least a year unless you can make it your day job. The same thing that attracted me to this bike is also what would be working against you. They made this bike for 20 years. Parts are cheap and plentiful. Things like the tank will go quick but those little parts that add up will not sell as fast. Also keep in mind to make the most money the parts have to look good. So thats cleaning and refurbing everything before you put it up for sale. Parting out is an absolute last resort. I have a bike in my shed with a blown engine and I'd still rather try to fix it than attempt to part out another bike.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Sounds like the part out isn't worth it. Think I'll call it a defeated riding season for now and spent some time researching and tinkering during the fall and winter.

I twisted off the idle adjustment cable trying to start it and keep it running so I'm looking at replacing that part and a carb clean minimum.

Then it's the charging issues while hot. Could a mosfet R/R help with this problem?

It's can get up to 104 degrees here in the summer months and she gets cranky idling at red lights. Figure if you can't ride in the summer months, I should find a ride that doesn't have these kinds of issues.

Love this group tho, good cats on here .
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:00 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Here kitty kitty kitty.more for porka fried rice

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat